Register free!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Ride-On Questions

Thinking about investing in a ride-on spreader/sprayer, but I have a few questions for those of you who use them. I should also say, I'm not looking for advice on what brand to buy.
1. Do you spray fungicides from them? If so, how effective are they? I'm a little worried about low volume and fungicides.
Before anyone starts giving me advice on a program, fungicides are part of my program. St. Augustine on the Gulf Coast, no way around it.

2. Does anyone use foam markers? I'm concerned that I won't ALWAYS be able to see my tracks and that my overlap is going to be less than perfect.

3. How much of a problem is drift? It looks like the nozzles are pretty low and I'm assuming everyone runs AI nozzles? Wind is always an issue in my area.

4. Does anyone spray micros from their ride-ons? If so, what is your carrier rate/1000?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can spray with 1 gallon tips and go slow with the machine and get two gallons per thousand but thats borderline minimum for most liquid apps like fungis, ferts and some insect apps.

I do it. Not regularly though.

I'd love to see an option for a larger pump on the ride on's that allows you to maintain pressure when using larger tips and get more volume.

A.I. isnt an issue. It's water volume.

I'm a northern guy. Maybe some of the southern folks will chime in but thats the issue with the machines. Not enough water volume for certain specialty apps.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I sprayed fungicides one summer on some ball fields, they always get dollar spot but this year was real bad we did 2apps at 11 gals a acre and a wetting agent. It worked just as good as the ones I did at a golf course at 50 gals a acre. I put a foam marker on mine but didn't use it much and some times you lose your tracks mostly in bad grass that is thin but we have always get it done. I have used foam marks and some times you can lose your way in real big jobs there is a ton of little white dots out there. I would rather spray in unmowed grass
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I sprayed fungicides one summer on some ball fields, they always get dollar spot but this year was real bad we did 2apps at 11 gals a acre and a wetting agent. It worked just as good as the ones I did at a golf course at 50 gals a acre. I put a foam marker on mine but didn't use it much and some times you lose your tracks mostly in bad grass that is thin but we have always get it done. I have used foam marks and some times you can lose your way in real big jobs there is a ton of little white dots out there. I would rather spray in unmowed grass
I hear you on the unmowed grass, but that's not really an option since I don't have control of the mowing.

What brand of ride-on do you run?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its almost as if the ride on sprayers need something like the 7 GPM/100 PSI 12 volt pumps on them. That and a boom mounted 20" off the ground with TeeJet tips. Right now, I am turning a client's Cushman Carryall into a spray vehicle. 5.5 GPM pump, bypass regulation, agitation line, and a three nozzle boom 20" off the ground. Rotating nozzle bodies to easily switch from Turbo TurfJets for high volume applications and AI tips for herbicide applications.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-09-2014, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if its always windy its going to be tough for you. the permagreen and ground logic sprays 12 gallons per acre or close to it so that would be a major issue
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
Thinking about investing in a ride-on spreader/sprayer, but I have a few questions for those of you who use them. I should also say, I'm not looking for advice on what brand to buy.
1. Do you spray fungicides from them? If so, how effective are they? I'm a little worried about low volume and fungicides.
Before anyone starts giving me advice on a program, fungicides are part of my program. St. Augustine on the Gulf Coast, no way around it.

2. Does anyone use foam markers? I'm concerned that I won't ALWAYS be able to see my tracks and that my overlap is going to be less than perfect.

3. How much of a problem is drift? It looks like the nozzles are pretty low and I'm assuming everyone runs AI nozzles? Wind is always an issue in my area.

4. Does anyone spray micros from their ride-ons? If so, what is your carrier rate/1000?

Thanks in advance for your input.
On your Number 1 Whats your label say for low volume spraying the specific fungicide?

2). I hate to say it, but I learned the hard way of walking with a hose and then looking for footsteps once turning around and facing the way you came..The ride on was a blessing and if you can't see there tracks... serenity now.....

3). Most generally the best advice for wind is.... whats the label say?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Z Spray and can apply at 1 gal/1000 @ 4mph. If you wanted to apply at 2 gal/1000 you could go 2mph but that it painfully slow. Foliar fungicides can be applied a 1 gal per, so your good there.

Foam markers-I started out using one but it bit the dust. It did a so-so job, didn't seem to drop a soap ball often enough to be super accurate but better than nothing. Also the foam balls tend to disapear in to tall grasses like SA. I went back to marker dye for 1st round dormant turf. When the grass greens up I spray early in the day and use the tire tracks. It's easy to get lost on dry grass on some of my larger lawns. One trick I use on some lawns is I go the opposite direction of the regular mowing tracks since it's easy to get mixed up with them.

Micros-GreenDoc uses a micro pkg that he says can be applied at low volume (1 gal ?). I'd like to get my hands on some and try it but can't find a good supplier. Do your customers have irrigation, if so maybe run before/after app.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Guess I need to clarify my wind comment. I don't spray in 20mph wind. I can, however, comfortably spray in a 7mph wind with the hose and shower nozzle w/o worrying about drift. I guess what I'm asking is at what point does wind/drift become an issue for low volume with AI nozzles?
As far as label instructions for volume, I hear you. The thing is, I don't think all of the manufacturers are up to speed on label instructions for all products when it comes to low volume. JMO and I've been wrong before. Before anyone starts bashing me, I know, I know. THE LABEL IS THE LAW!!! However, if I can get some questions answered quickly on LS from operator experiences, then I can save myself some time.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
Guess I need to clarify my wind comment. I don't spray in 20mph wind. I can, however, comfortably spray in a 7mph wind with the hose and shower nozzle w/o worrying about drift. I guess what I'm asking is at what point does wind/drift become an issue for low volume with AI nozzles?
As far as label instructions for volume, I hear you. The thing is, I don't think all of the manufacturers are up to speed on label instructions for all products when it comes to low volume. JMO and I've been wrong before. Before anyone starts bashing me, I know, I know. THE LABEL IS THE LAW!!! However, if I can get some questions answered quickly on LS from operator experiences, then I can save myself some time.
I'm sorry for being a .... bad morning broke my iphone.... anyway I saw the coolest thing at my neighbors the other day.. i have seen them online before but it looks like a brushhog but its actually a spraying machine with everything enclosed. He could spray his lawn in a hurricane and I think it would be ok ..