Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

French Drain

Im wondering when you should line the trench with fabric and when you just need to wrap the pipe.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't wrap the pipe, there are several law suits here pending due to the fabric plugging on the big-O pipe getting clogged and failing, we all have to use perf'ed PVC pipe.

Best bet is wood chips or straw to cover the drain rock. Or just use wood chips instead of drain rock, we did 50 acres with that method and the drains just wick the water out even faster than conventional drain lines do.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wow, really? Wont the wood rot into soil eventually?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, it's sealed up, and it rots 20 times slower. We used spruce chips, about 1" with no saw dust.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thats neat. I do want to grow lawn over this one though. Its easy access and nearby materials and dumping excavation material. Any ideas of price for about 100 ft?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't price, I just do and dig.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats a funny coincidence. Starting a french drain project tomorrow. Not using the sock on the pipe, but we are using filter fabric to line the ditch and cover the rock. Toping with new fresh topsoil for seeding or sod (home owner to finish). Agree with Ron, if at all possible don't put dirt on top. They actually work great when the water can get down to the pipe!
I've researched pricing for drains on here. Some guys were saying $10-15 a foot. I don't see how they can do it so cheap. I'm leaving dirt on site, regrading another area, and it's still $20-25 a foot. Guess it all depends on labor costs, depth and finishing touches?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

French drains are designed to move standing water. When you disturb the soil by digging the trench that is what allows the water to get down to the pipe. The disturbed soil will allow the water to move through it. You also need to use washed stone in the trench as the fines from regular gravel can block the pipes. No filter clothe is needed around the pipe. You should top the gravel will with something to keep the soil from washing down into the gravel.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do your customer a favor and line the trench with fabric and use washed rock. The fabric keeps the soil from migrating into and clogging up the rock and the french drain will last a lot longer. Use perforated hard pipe too and provide a cleanout at the uphill end. That corrugated stuff is flimsy junk and I won't touch it. Don't even ask me how many poorly done french drains I've redone in the last 30 years...its been a bunch. I get $20-$25 a foot up to 18" deep.