Register free!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

gas line spraying

Anyone with any experience on vegetation management for oil, gas, power companies, etc.? I'm looking into adding a category to my license for this. I would like some specifics if you have any. What herbicide combinations are effective and long lasting for prevention. Rates? Pricing? Specialty equipment? Thank you in advance.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

what part of WV are you in? Mountaineer gas and Superior gas well contacted us a year ago about maintaining some remote wells and lines, here's a few of what they wanted...

- $5 million liability
- $ATV w/sprayer for following lines in the woods
- employee drug test (no problem with that)
- herbicide/pesticide license

they assume you know what you're doing and have all the other equipment.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
what part of WV are you in? Mountaineer gas and Superior gas well contacted us a year ago about maintaining some remote wells and lines, here's a few of what they wanted...

- $5 million liability
- $ATV w/sprayer for following lines in the woods
- employee drug test (no problem with that)
- herbicide/pesticide license

they assume you know what you're doing and have all the other equipment.
Did you all end up with the contract? I'm in Bridgeport, WV up by Clarksburg, Fairmont area. Would you be available to speak by phone? 304-629-6990 is my #
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

no we didn't do it.... it was going to be good money, Superior Gas well was a contract for about 150 sites in Mercer, Wyoming, McDowell, Logan counties but they basically wanted to dictate your hours and schedule. Mountaineer gas was sites in more "urban" areas around Bluefield, Princeton, Beckley. It would have been a full time job for a couple of crews easily.

We aren't licensed to do any spraying, we stay swamped enough with general mowing on residential/commercial and couldn't afford to drop and commercial clients. I would have probably ended up bankrupt trying to get all the license, equipment, men and scheduling done right in the first year.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I've requested study materials from the state for this Right of Way Category 7. Doing my own research, I've seen where many states and companies require a Vegetation Management Plan. It looks extremely detailed. I'm not sure if oil and gas co.'s need this from me or not. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

One thing I forgot was Superior also wanted all trees, saplings, whatever cleared and maintained from the sites, not so much the lines. So it you like tree cutting too...
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm actually in the process of adding Right of Way spraying to my appplicators license. We have hundreds of miles of pipeline down here in louisiana.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy a nice quad, write it off, spend some time spraying then ride Hatfield-McCoy. Sounds like a win-win.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassworks Inc. View Post
Buy a nice quad, write it off, spend some time spraying then ride Hatfield-McCoy. Sounds like a win-win.
you'd be surprised how many wells are along the trail system. It's a wonder they aren't vandalized like crazy.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I put in a bid this year with SWN for 117 compressor sites to be sprayed bare ground. They ranged in size from 1k to 14 acres with a grand total of 363 acres. They were spread over a 6 county area (All part of the Fayetteville Shale Deposit). I had it all figured out and even had a little inside info on last seasons bid but I did not get it. My bid would have paid for materials all equipment and other expenses and would have left about 25k in my pocket. I had to bid it where all equipment would be paid for the first season. It goes up for bid each year and the possibility is there that you might only have it one season. I took my states ROW exam and scored 95%. I had all my ducks in a row. I'm actually kind of glad we didn't get it. We've experienced phenomenal growth this year in our "fert & squirt" business and it would have been a logistical nightmare.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor