Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

OK...the 36 HP Vanguard on the Cheetah is a BEAST!

Bolted the mulching kit on and the Scag mulching blades that came with it. Headed out to one of our rental properties that obviously hadn't been mowed by the tenant in roughly a month and put this thing to the test. As you can imagine by the pics below I did have to creep along through this stuff but it handled it extremely well. I did have to double cut it which is totally understandable. I took it from what you see in the pics down to 4" and then down to 2.5" on the second pass. This in no way will be the norm for this mower but I know it will do it if need be. This would have easily taken my 3 hours or more on my 326 triple cutting it. I have no idea how much fuel it burned but I will after I fill it back up. This thing has WAY more power than the Kubota.

Overall impression of the machine...so far I love it. The major difference in the Cheetah and my Kubota is the lack of the articulating front end. The Scag lifts the front tires on uneven ground whereas the Kubota didn't. Not a big deal but it is a major difference. Also missed the built in lift that the Kubota has when getting ready to install the mulching kit. Had to break out the ole car ramps.

The mower feels tight. Handles very well. Sticks are responsive and smooth. The Vanguard is slightly louder than the diesel but not much. I like the lower stance of the Scag over the Kubota. Comfort is top notch. The suspension platform really soaks up the rough stuff. It doesn't ride like a Cadillac but for a mower it's pretty smooth. Overall it feels much more nimble than the Kubota. This is probably due to being so much lighter and lower.

Not really good at writing reviews on mowers so if anyone has any questions I will be glad to answer them if I can.

Again...this thing is a BEAST. Would I like to have 5 or 10 more ponies??? Sure, I'd takem' but this mower will do what I need it to do which is what I was worried about.

Yes, this was with the mulching kit installed.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a picture like that. except the damn thing was broke down in a lawn
Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

wow i can't believe you mulched it that tall. if it can do that it can definately handle anything.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a good review Reath. You did fine IMO.
Just a suggestion (I understand you wanted to see what it would do here) since you had to double snip it anyway- when the grass is that tall, raise the deck all the way up and run the first pass like that. You'll be able to go much faster than "creep", and mulch well as you go, then drop down to where you want it finished off at, and hit it again.

Looks great bro!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great looking mower. Gotta love Scag.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i noticed you had different levers on your cheetah. did those come on it or did you buy them seperately? the one's i've seen were just L shaped control levers. i like the shape of the levers on yours much better. my deere's are shaped like yours too.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's a good review Reath. You did fine IMO.
Just a suggestion (I understand you wanted to see what it would do here) since you had to double snip it anyway- when the grass is that tall, raise the deck all the way up and run the first pass like that. You'll be able to go much faster than "creep", and mulch well as you go, then drop down to where you want it finished off at, and hit it again.

Looks great bro!
Thanks Ridin'. I totally "get" what you're saying. I actually did just that on the rest of the yard. I just really wanted to see what this thing would do...worst case scenario. A true test. I also firmly believe that you should break a new piece of equipment or vehicle in like it could be used. I've never babied anything new and I have never had any problems. I was much easier on the mower for the first hour. Bringing it up to op speed and normal load and then shutting it down to cool completely several times.

Have to say again, I am really please with this thing so far.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i noticed you had different levers on your cheetah. did those come on it or did you buy them seperately? the one's i've seen were just L shaped control levers. i like the shape of the levers on yours much better. my deere's are shaped like yours too.
Jason, those are the sticks that came on it. But now that you mention it, it does seem like they are different from the ones on the 2011 that I demoed. I don't remember what it is but I think they were skinnier or something. Maybe it's a 2012 thing. I have no idea.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
wow i can't believe you mulched it that tall. if it can do that it can definately handle anything.
Yes Jason, I agree. I really wanted to see if it could handle it. Wanted to know if I should keep the kit on or leave it off and throw some G5's on it.
As explained in the other thread, sometimes I need to take 2 weeks or about 4" of growth off of my yard due to my work schedule. This thing will have no trouble with that at all.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is an impressive result. I've heard great things about the big blocks. Best of luck with the new mower, this proves you will not have an issue powering through any "standard" cutting situations
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires