Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Agape's Avatar
Agape Agape is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: salem or
Posts: 1,568
I wish i had taken a picture, but i got a call to do a small paver patio this summer and the gentleman on the phone boasted: " I ALREADY DID ALL THE EXCAVATION FOR THE PROJECT FOR YOU SO THE JOB IS HALF DONE!"

I got to the estimate, and the sod had been chiseled out- not even below the roots in some places. It was just an 8x10 scalloped area 1- 1.5 inches deep.

They were puzzled as to why i couldn't just sprinkle sand and put the 1x1 exposed aggregate squares from lowes down
__________________
Don Bullis-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM
PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
I wish i had taken a picture, but i got a call to do a small paver patio this summer and the gentleman on the phone boasted: " I ALREADY DID ALL THE EXCAVATION FOR THE PROJECT FOR YOU SO THE JOB IS HALF DONE!"

I got to the estimate, and the sod had been chiseled out- not even below the roots in some places. It was just an 8x10 scalloped area 1- 1.5 inches deep.

They were puzzled as to why i couldn't just sprinkle sand and put the 1x1 exposed aggregate squares from lowes down
The funniest thing is, in the age of the internet, any bozo can just type "how to build a paver patio" into google and even the most idiotic advice will tell you it takes more than that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:52 PM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,728
Notice I have not participated in this thread hardly at all.

One unnamed forum member referred to an unknown person(s) work as an "idiot"! Yet - myself and others here have found numerous flaws with his/her work from his/her photos!!

Steps, walks, paths, walls, are a facet of gardening. Many many people will NOT pay for what they conceive as gardening. Just because we are contractors does not mean every person will call a contractor every time they want something done. So they do it theirselves. It's no different than a person who works on his truck instead of taking it to a repair shop.

Yeah, there are certainly alotta hardscape hacks out there.

But what makes folks think their work doesn't have flaws? Cause I see alotta pics of jobs that have flaws

Heck, Techo-bloc has had pictures in their catalogs of jobs with some noticeable flaws!
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Drakeslayer Drakeslayer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

Heck, Techo-bloc has had pictures in their catalogs of jobs with some noticeable flaws!
Manufacturing or installation flaws?
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 PM
scagrider22 scagrider22 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: somewhere
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
Manufacturing or installation flaws?
I've also noticed install flaws in techo's catalog, I don't have the catalog handy but the one I can remember is the photo of a retaining wall with steps, the corner of the wall looked like crap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 PM
amscapes03's Avatar
amscapes03 amscapes03 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: groveland, MA
Posts: 399
Techo has one of the best catalogs, flaws and all. Take a look at several of the other competitors catalogs. I'm amazed/horrified at the pics they select to represent their product.
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 10-31-2013, 11:10 PM
JContracting's Avatar
JContracting JContracting is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Champlin, MN
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by amscapes03 View Post
Techo has one of the best catalogs, flaws and all. Take a look at several of the other competitors catalogs. I'm amazed/horrified at the pics they select to represent their product.
You must not have seen Borgert or Rochester Interlock's catalogs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM
DVS Hardscaper's Avatar
DVS Hardscaper DVS Hardscaper is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: County Jail
Posts: 5,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by amscapes03 View Post
Techo has one of the best catalogs, flaws and all. Take a look at several of the other competitors catalogs. I'm amazed/horrified at the pics they select to represent their product.
yes, I agree, Techo DOES have the nicest and best catalogs that I have seen yet. Techo has raised the bar for the entire paver industry.

but.......there has been some nice photos that just so happen to have some flaws visible.

See, whether it's an industry catalog, or a "how to" YouTube video - who do you think is better suited for the job, an award winning contractor with 15 yrs of hands on field experience, or a salesperson who's expertise is reviewing current inventory sheets?

These manufacturers need to assemble Contractor Advisory Boards. Where people like me review their catalogs and videos before going live.
__________________
"It's You vs. You"

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"


My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Drakeslayer Drakeslayer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Where people like me
There are others?
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Gilmore.Landscaping's Avatar
Gilmore.Landscaping Gilmore.Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Notice I have not participated in this thread hardly at all.

One unnamed forum member referred to an unknown person(s) work as an "idiot"! Yet - myself and others here have found numerous flaws with his/her work from his/her photos!!

Steps, walks, paths, walls, are a facet of gardening. Many many people will NOT pay for what they conceive as gardening. Just because we are contractors does not mean every person will call a contractor every time they want something done. So they do it theirselves. It's no different than a person who works on his truck instead of taking it to a repair shop.

Yeah, there are certainly alotta hardscape hacks out there.

But what makes folks think their work doesn't have flaws? Cause I see alotta pics of jobs that have flaws

Heck, Techo-bloc has had pictures in their catalogs of jobs with some noticeable flaws!
There are "flaws" in every project. I am certain that I could look at your projects and find some as well. I will be the first to admit that yes our projects have "flaws" too.

What it really comes down to is the scale of that flaw. for example, if you choose to run your banding straight into a corner instead of cutting a miter joint some would say that's a flaw, others would not. If you choose to dig and install 12" Granular base vs stripping the sod and laying pavers I think we can all agree that's a flaw.

I think we can all agree there is no project in here which is something we would ever install and that is the fun of this thread.
__________________
Truck, Mower, Trimmer, Blower.....same as everyone else.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad , hacks , idiots , wrong

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.08258 seconds with 8 queries