Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So, your "good spraying day" would prevent you from using MCPA and MCPP, two AIs used common three-way mixes. Am I safe in assuming that you don't use products with MCPA or MCPP during those "good spray days"?

I'm all for doing what is best for the customer and I think following the law is at the top of the list.

That being said, I'm looking to get away from phenoxy herbicides and others with specific restrictions like that. Imprelis looked like it was going to be the answer, but that fell through. So, I'm looking at different combinations to get away from 2,4-D, MCPA, and MCPP, but its not very effective and not very cheap.

I think a lot of guys are going to flip when they find that they can't use things like 3-way, Momentum FX2, Trimec, TriPower, or any other 2,4-D, MCPP, MCPA combination like they're used to without fines -- and the replacement products are more expensive!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Average wind speed in April here is 11.7 mph. For May it is 9.7 mph.
http://www7.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/lcd/lc...27316585007758

My Drive XLR8 shows a wind speed limitation of 10 mph.
The Surge label limits at 10 MPH.

It requires a medium or coarse spray using the ASAE Standard 572
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...7WnzaA&cad=rja
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Remember that the NOAA average windspeed is the mean value of all windspeeds taken at hourly observations. So, thee mid-day observations are included, but so are the calm speeds that happen at night. This doesn't really help, since we don't spray at night. most wind speed averages double when only daytime values are calculated, so your values are higher than what you reported.

I'm in conformance with the spray droplet size on all applications, so that's not an issue, either. The older labels said we could use strategies to minimize drift, like larger droplets and shielded sprayers. However, the new labels don't mention those.

So, it doesn't matter if I have a shield around a backpack sprayer nozzle -- I still can't spray if wind speeds prevent it.

So far, it sounds like all of us are spraying illegally. No wonder the EPA and media are coming down on us!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been using PowerZone. Great results!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Triclopyr is excellent on clover and legumes. Also called "Turflon". Also an ingredient in several other products like T-Zone, and Momentum.
Riggs: My place (fescue and a little bluegrass) here is being overun with white clover. Never been here before this year. It looks like it has been planted. The T-Zone that you suggested--Is it the Gordon's product. I've seen the T-Zone before but it was used for cooler temps. Now today it has been 87. What would be the next best thing for the heat. . I've got plenty of Q4, even gallons of 2-4D. Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your Q4 will smoke it
Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never worry about heat and herbicides--of course it seldom rises above 90 here. My main worry is about liquid fert and heat--burn is common with liquid fert. I use less when it is hot.

I got no injury from herbicides last year for a test-but it did not get as hot as I wanted--only about 90. Gordons T-Zone should be good. The label temp limit is 85. Medium or coarse droplet is required. Wind limit is 15 mph with a 250 foot margin downwind required if non-target species are downwind. You must leave one swath untreated on the downwind side.

Hey I didn't write the label "Drift Control" rules.
Quinclorac also kills clover so i would think Q4 would work well.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At my last recert which was last fall, wind was a topic and they made absolutely no mention of new labels or new wind restrictions. Isn't that partly what recert is about, learning new restrictions and related issues.

During the discussion high wind speeds came up and they basically said "use your best judgement". Meaning halt when a gust comes through and then continue.

They were however pushing handheld wind meters more than in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I never worry about heat and herbicides--of course it seldom rises above 90 here. My main worry is about liquid fert and heat--burn is common with liquid fert. I use less when it is hot.

I got no injury from herbicides last year for a test-but it did not get as hot as I wanted--only about 90. Gordons T-Zone should be good. The label temp limit is 85. Medium or coarse droplet is required. Wind limit is 15 mph with a 250 foot margin downwind required if non-target species are downwind. You must leave one swath untreated on the downwind side.

Hey I didn't write the label "Drift Control" rules.
Quinclorac also kills clover so i would think Q4 would work well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think grass injury is the only problem with some herbicides and warm temperatures.
Herbicide volatilization? Potentially more of a problem than runoff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
At my last recert which was last fall, wind was a topic and they made absolutely no mention of new labels or new wind restrictions. Isn't that partly what recert is about, learning new restrictions and related issues.

During the discussion high wind speeds came up and they basically said "use your best judgement". Meaning halt when a gust comes through and then continue.

They were however pushing handheld wind meters more than in the past.
Posted via Mobile Device
University or extension service recerts should include label updates in my opinion, but we can't always count on them, especially when the law says that applicators are responsible for reading and following all label directions. Just b/c some extension guy isn't doing his job doesn't exempt me from doing mine.

The old labels said things like, "Do not apply in conditions that favor drift," or "use care to avoid spray drift," which ask us to use our best judgment. But, now I'm getting Dept of Ag inspectors following my guys from stop to stop and getting wind speed readings from the airport while we're spraying.

The labels also aren't new this year -- they were new last year. I'm thinking that if extension agents and other LCOs ignore these labels, we could lose the products althogether.