Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here are a couple links that may be interesting and helpful. They should be somewhat nearby. Hope this helps!
http://www.managementtraining.biz/ma...g_maryland.htm

http://pm.umd.edu/page.php?id=1

http://www.umuc.edu/nli/
Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

It's too late in the game to teach an employee basic human skills. His/her parents should have already done that. New hires should already posess these skills. Your employees need to fit in with your company culture, if not they shouldn't be hired or won't last long.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two things about the Internet

i) everyone always makes a profit on all their hardscape jobs! No matter what, they're money making machines!

ii) everyone always has the best employees, always happy to work and smile all day long and just love working for them!

LOL

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Two things about the Internet

i) everyone always makes a profit on all their hardscape jobs! No matter what, they're money making machines!

ii) everyone always has the best employees, always happy to work and smile all day long and just love working for them!

LOL

Posted via Mobile Device

1.) Absolutely
2.) I didn't say that. No one is perfect; I agree with you. However, if this guy frequently is disrespectful and acting as your described, that probably won't change. That is his personality. Maybe employees aren't always happy, get tired and sick of work at times, but that doesn't mean they should be disrespectful to other employees, you (the owner) and customers. What happens when you aren't on site and this guy loses it with a customer?

You can teach hardscaping, landscaping, equipment operation, policy, tasks, etc., but you (the boss) can't teach a 28 year old respect, common sense, people skills, and listening.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What happens when you aren't on site and this guy loses it with a customer?

What is strange for me to understand is the employees thinking when they are getting scolded. How hard is it to listen to the boss and do what they say and say sorry I will do it your way or better next time. I would also figure that DVS 's guy in particular is not the front communication man for his crew. If he is then more and swifter action would have to be taken. I had a guy on my crew when I was working for someone else that acted similar. The problem was that he was good and made the company and me money by getting things done and under budget hours. After awhile that cockiness eats away at their brain and they really think you would have to shut the doors if they left. We would go easy on the guy he was hard on equipment and did make detail mistakes frequently. When raise time came around he only got half of the bump that we gave to the others and he left for what he thought was greener pastures. BTW the guy was 26-28 years old during his reign. I later left the company to form my own. A few years after I left he came back asking for a job and at this time about 32 years old and a bad economy equaled a much better attitude.

"I guess it is hard to be humble when your perfect in everyway"lol
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
What happens when you aren't on site and this guy loses it with a customer?

What is strange for me to understand is the employees thinking when they are getting scolded. How hard is it to listen to the boss and do what they say and say sorry I will do it your way or better next time. I would also figure that DVS 's guy in particular is not the front communication man for his crew. If he is then more and swifter action would have to be taken. I had a guy on my crew when I was working for someone else that acted similar. The problem was that he was good and made the company and me money by getting things done and under budget hours. After awhile that cockiness eats away at their brain and they really think you would have to shut the doors if they left. We would go easy on the guy he was hard on equipment and did make detail mistakes frequently. When raise time came around he only got half of the bump that we gave to the others and he left for what he thought was greener pastures. BTW the guy was 26-28 years old during his reign. I later left the company to form my own. A few years after I left he came back asking for a job and at this time about 32 years old and a bad economy equaled a much better attitude.

"I guess it is hard to be humble when your perfect in everyway"lol
I think you have a good grasp on managing employees. There are drivers on the road that will whip around you at twice the speed limit only to be stopped at a traffic light 1/2 mile ahead. Same mentality goes for employee management. You can fire and hire all you want, but you're still not going to be able to avoid the traffic lights.

My guys do not communicate with our customers at my small enterprise, the necessity doesn't exist.

And the question is: do you really want $10 to $16 dollar an hour workers talking to and answering customers questions? I don't know about you guys, but when I answer customers questions, I usually explaine why and I go into detail.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

. He will start yelling / arguing back with me very loud, and everytime I try to speak he will interupt me and not allow me to finish a sentence.

.[/QUOTE]

Tell him "I'm, sorry the middle of my sentence was interrupting the beginning of your sentence...."

Mu wife uses that on me. It gets the point across loud and clear.

ML
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wait,

walk off.

Return,

pull him aside

smile,

pat him on the back.

Tell him you are talking to him like a man,

you expect him to be a man.

You do two things here.

You get him out of ear shot of the others.

They know you talked.

You have to be concerned about a client issue as other mentions but also about other employees.

You either need to nip fast or dump fast.

My first responce was to dump him and pay the others a bonus for catching up.

PS, if this is a key man, you need to make him the key man. Let everyone know he is the key man and treat him like a key man.

I take my Key man on lunches, I send cards to him with a bonus so his family sees it.

Money is not everything, if you do not respect and ackknowledge him then he may lash out.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntngoat View Post
. He will start yelling / arguing back with me very loud, and everytime I try to speak he will interupt me and not allow me to finish a sentence.

Now that's funny! I'm writing that down!

Tell him "I'm, sorry the middle of my sentence was interrupting the beginning of your sentence...."

Mu wife uses that on me. It gets the point across loud and clear.

ML[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I think giving your worker a raise one day to firing him the next is a little harsh...not to mention sending mixed signals, why give the raise at all if hes a problem. Show a progressive discipline, and give the employee a chance to improve. You say after the cell phone incident he did great work... give him a three day rip with no pay and see how his work ethic goes from their.