Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Who would quit a job making $58000 to do this?

Simple question.....

Who would quit their job making $58000 to start a landscape maintenance business. thats with 401k matching 6% and paying $315 for health benefits a month. Just curious.. how many crews would i need to make this in the business?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would prob take a few years to get there. What type of job are you talking about? If u add insurance and the 401k, tht job is closer to about $65k a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Member

A job I am not happy with but it pays the bills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You would be a idiot.

It would take a LONG time or LONG hours to get there. I am barely there after 10 years and 80 hour weeks. Not fun. I would much rather have a less stress 40hr a week job.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
You would be a idiot.

It would take a LONG time or LONG hours to get there. I am barely there after 10 years and 80 hour weeks. Not fun. I would much rather have a less stress 40hr a week job.
How many crews do u have? Commercial accounts?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your decision is based purely on money, I'd stay where you're at. It is definitely possible to make 60k+ but it will probably take you many years and it is a LOT of work.

In my experience, besides the physical exhaustion you experience it's all the detail stuff that wears you out in this industry. All the little things one can take for granted in a corporate job (finding customers, fielding 10 phone calls a day while trying to keep up with your maintenance route, customer relations, marketing, etc.) - you are responsible for everything in your business from A-Z

Then you have to expect to work half days, and by that I mean 12+ hrs. especially early spring and fall. How will that affect your family and social life? And you must consider your initial investment, plan on spending $50-100K to set up a rig capable of supporting that income level and instantly your first 1 or 2 years income are gone to pay for that.

I'm not trying to be negative. If you are very unhappy in your other job and are willing to make the necessary commitment, owning your own business can be very rewarding. There are many days I hate my job; when it rains off and on all day, when the mowers just aren't cutting right, when you have 10hrs of work that takes you 16, etc.

There are also a lot of days I wouldn't trade it; when the weather is nice and everything goes smoothly and you finish a big route in time to eat dinner with the family, the smell of freshly cut grass in the spring, or bagging a $1k day doing aerating, and just plain feeling like a man coming home covered in dirt and sweat knowing that you busted your hump and did some good old fashioned, character-building hard work.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Again. I am trying to find out who has crews. I am not scared of labor. But ultimately one man can only make so much. You have to have crews working for you right??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I did. I hated my job, I don't have the benefits, but I have my life back and a job I love.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Why do you need crews. Your a one man army, work hard and you will make money. as long as your work is way above others in your area.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey waid View Post
Why do you need crews. Your a one man army, work hard and you will make money. as long as your work is way above others in your area.
True, and that would be great if I planned on dying on someone's yard in a few years. But you can't be doing hard manual labor in your 60s. Or at least I don't want to. You guys have to have crews. Am I missing something
Posted via Mobile Device