Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I meant reliable as far as the high dollar income over a whole year. New commercials can be had and if you can't keep a commercial, you need to work on your relationship with your client, your pricing, or they are just cutthroat and it's time to find a replacement commercial.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

well i have 3 commercials i've had for 3 years. we don't sign any contracts though.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kse1221 View Post
My goal is to have a lawn business. Grow my business and have employees doing the back breaking labor. People do it everyday. There is a difference between being self employed (you) and being a business owner. Did Sam Walton still sack groceries at the super Walmart.... No. Does the papa johns pizza guy still deliver pizza? No. I am no stranger to labor, but I want a business not another job.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the attitude you need to be successful!!! Don't get this much on this site. Most here are one crew or one man companies and many are not even real companies.

To be successful, you have to be a businessman first and a landscaper second. If your just working your a*s off just to pay the bills, then you might as well work for someone else.

I currently have 6 crews and take home much more than I need. In the meantime, I have also built up a company that can easily be sold for over 1mil. This is what owning a business is about!! Do I love what I do? No. I like it. It gives me a sense of pride to have created a successful business, to be in control of my own destiny, and to create good jobs for others.

But, I would rather be a NFL quarterback, a famous actor, or a rock star. lol
Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I walked away from a job that I was making $85k/yr in with 5% matching retirement, medical insurance for about $350 a month (BCBS), 11 years invested, & the strong likelihood that I would be in 6 figures within the next 5 years.

I had a strong background in the green industry from my first go-round at this & I ran two crews before I sold that company. I invested about $20k in my startup rig, truck, trailer, & equipment, & have been scraping by for the first year & working long hours. Things are starting to get better & we're moving in the right direction. I would never consider going back to the job I left.

Trust me, if you really want to make it work, it doesn't matter what business you're in, for the most part, just stay engaged & you'll do fine.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you ever thought about saving and buying an established company? If I could go back i would have had someone else pay my paycheck so I could save and buy a company. That way I wouldn't have to go threw the "learning curve" of growing a company. It's hard as hell to wake up and work for 12-15 hours a day only to not make any money, and this will happen a lot.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I currently work and make in the 70-80 range and just do landscaping as a side job for the "fun" of it.

The money is in the hardscaping definitely not the mowing. but its also hard work. I pulled down 15k this year just doing it on the side and only taking jobs i wanted.

Everyones market is different. here where i live you need to make 100k to be comfortable. the real estate is stupid expensive. i love my full time job and i love landscaping so i do both. the wife love the extra income and she frequently visits my job sites just to see the work i have done and has made friends with several of my customers.
My son is dating the daughter of one of my customers who spent over 10k last year on her lawn and plans to do more work in the spring and we go to each others family functions. I just am friendly and ALL my work is by word of mouth.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Simple question.....

Who would quit their job making $58000 to start a landscape maintenance business. thats with 401k matching 6% and paying $315 for health benefits a month. Just curious.. how many crews would i need to make this in the business?
that sounds like about where I was 8 years ago before I walked off my job and now run and own a full time solo lawn maintenance business.

I'm more concerned with happiness vs. money.

I now make a fraction of what I use to make but I'm MUCH more happy doing what I love.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Simple question.....

Who would quit their job making $58000 to start a landscape maintenance business. thats with 401k matching 6% and paying $315 for health benefits a month. Just curious.. how many crews would i need to make this in the business?
I walked out of a chemical plant as an operator making between 100,000-130,000 a year 180 hours of vacation, great insurance and a fair 401k to do what I love to do. That is run my business that I have made. The day I walked out I never looked back.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC View Post
I walked out of a chemical plant as an operator making between 100,000-130,000 a year 180 hours of vacation, great insurance and a fair 401k to do what I love to do. That is run my business that I have made. The day I walked out I never looked back.
How long you been in business for your self
Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
How long you been in business for your self
4 years. Cutting 150 yards a week with two crews. 90 are full maintenance. Have a separate 4 man crew that does installs and irrigation repair and installs.