Old 11-25-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulcahy mowing View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
there was no post. try reposting your comment please.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Great thread. Reading it so far has been very therapeutic for me, lol... many great points.

1. No one will EVER dedicate themselves to your business as much as you- this takes hours that even the hardest of workers will struggle with.
2. Wife/Gf/fiance issues- MUST have someone who understands. I couldn't fathom doing this with a woman who groaned about my schedule- it simply wouldn't work.
3. The actual WORK is easy. I can trim shrubs, weed eat, and plant trees all day long. Try wearing 87 hats (accountant, banker, salesman, mechanic, laborer, estimator, secretary, driver, manager, boss, delivery guy, hand holder...... and so on) and see how that goes.
4. You pay yourself last.... I'll probably hit 100k in revenues at the end of this month and I've paid myself 3,000.00 this year.
5. CASH FLOW, receivables, material expenses, suppliers, you must be on it ALL, all the time.
6. Expect to do all "fun" things on weekend and evenings completely exhausted and wanting to crawl in a hole.
7. Seasonality- as was said, how much cash goes out the door at the start of the year and then you have to wait until now to start actually building it up... OH, then you have a truck or machine that goes in and needs 4,000.00 in work... OH, then it's quarterly tax time...bye bye money... OH, then you're third guy quits. Rearrange the schedule....

I'm preaching to the choir. Thank God it's rewarding work. ha
Good advice....also tell him how difficult it is to find and keep good help.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This thread makes me glad I started when I was 19. 2013 will be my 6th year and I still have not made a dime thats been spent on anything but more equipment and food. Not sure if the OP plans on doing larger landscaping stuff but thats the equipment that will eat up your money for years and still have a long list of things you need.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all in what makes you happy. I made 49 and walked away and haven't looked back.
P.S. They called me the other week and ask me If I would work for them during the winter and I said yes.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't do it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Kse

KSE, you need to buy a landscaping business, not start one. If you start one, everything everyone has said here will be true. You need to buy one at about a $1.2 mil sales level. Typically at that level you'll have several crew leaders in place and probably a person in an "operations manager" capacity that runs everything (i.e. NOT you). Check out Bizquest.com or Bizbuysell.com.

Expect to pay about $500-800K for such a beast, though, depending on many factors including your part of the country. You can finance using the SBA or better yet, seller financing. You can also leverage your 401k WITHOUT tax penalty. Check out Guidant Financial.

I've bought 2 landscape companies in the last 4 years using the above strategy and run about 8 crews with 2 ops managers and 2 office managers. One deal in Chicago and one deal in Florida fell through. I also brokered a deal that leveraged the buyers 401k in MI. Shoot me a PM if you want to learn more.

Chris
3 21' trailers
1 26' trailer
9 72" Exmark riders
5 60" Exmark riders
1 60" Exmark walk behind
1 34" Trim mower
1 16' Jacobsen
1 11' Jacobsen
Some other stuff ...
Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be better off building a different type of business. Selling a lawn care business seems to yield less than an average return.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudonLawnCare View Post
I am in a very similar situation. While I enjoy my current job, I have always been interested in running my own business.

Trust me, I have crunched the numbers and the potential to make a lot of money in this business is there... if the effort is put in. You need to start working on a business plan, if done correctly, you will set expectations and have a clear understanding on where you need to be on a month to month basis.

I would also recommend starting slow. I am still working full time and mowing about 7 residential and 1 commercial lawns per week.

This example below may be dreaming, but its definitely doable!
Quick Math
8 Lawns per day at $50 = $400
$400 per day x 5 = $2000
$2000 x 27 weeks (rough estimate) = $54000

Expenses (Considering that equipment is paid for)
Gas - $6500
Insurance - $700
Advertising - $800
Misc - $5000
=$13000

End up with 41K
not sure were you get theses numbers from but they are far from reality...
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
not sure were you get theses numbers from but they are far from reality...
Not sure which way your going with this. All figures might be slightly low but its close if your not putting any salary into your expenses and working by yourself. You should be able to do more $ in a day and spend a little more too. Expenses working by yourself with good equipment should be about 25%. I assume these nubers are for an 8 hour day.