Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Everything seems low plus there are many many things that got over looked that happen that aren't on there id say 20grand expenses is more realistic some years are gonna be better but average your numbers seem awfully low
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arninglawns View Post
In my opinion, it all boils down to spending your time training people and providing them with good equipment from weedeaters to scheduling software. I stuggled with, and I know many on here do, thinking I'm the only person in the world who can do what I do. Once you realize that is not the case, you can replace yourself. Always be thinking of ways to automate a process or make it easy for anyone to understand. I would highly recommend anyone to read the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" series of books. It will change the way you look at your business. In the past 4 years, I went from mowing every single yard I have to not even knowing what yards in my neighborhood we mow, and taking Summer vacations to Europe with my family. I went from coming home filthy and exhausted to not even touching a weedeater for 2 years now.

Some examples of systems I use:
Train someone to bid yards over the phone at the time of the call. Create a formula that works for you, using square footage data found online. No more driving to every house, so they can waste your time with lowball offers, etc.

Send invoices monthly via email. Takes someone less than an hour. No more stuffing envelopes or (shutter) driving around knocking on doors to collect.

Scheduling software that maps your routes and optimizes them to reduce drive time for your crews. It takes a few minutes a week to sort the list for the crews. Send them as a PDF file to your crew leaders.

Stop offering services that require you to go hold the customer's hand. Or better yet, sub it out. You could develop a relationship with a tree guy or a landscaper, and have them go take care of these jobs that suck up all your time.

All of these things can be done from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

Hope this helps.
This all sounds good, but it's not realistic, you'll spend all your time managing all of this too, it won't happen on auto pilot. Unless you have a TON of money to put into payroll, for a general manager to handle the day to day stuff, but those guys don't come cheap and are few and far between, and you'll have to manage him too.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolluv View Post
Wow that's funny $hit right there. You forgot some expenses.

Dave...
Ya, add book work time, breakdowns, traffic, needy customers. I have days where I make $300-500 profit, I have others that I make a negative income.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
Everything seems low plus there are many many things that got over looked that happen that aren't on there id say 20grand expenses is more realistic some years are gonna be better but average your numbers seem awfully low
Posted via Mobile Device
They arent my numbers, I was agreeing with them for the most part though. It looks like he lumped alot into "misc". I think your overlooking that those are expenses for a mowing season (27 weeks) not a year.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Ya, add book work time, breakdowns, traffic, needy customers. I have days where I make $300-500 profit, I have others that I make a negative income.
BINGO! not to mention your 8 hour mowing day coming home changing oil greasing machines changing/sharpening blades doing paperwork or any sort of billing, fixing equipment because we all know **** breaks here and there. You just need to try to limit those neagtive days your never gonna comepletly elimnate them because you can never fully factor in that what if
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
BINGO! not to mention your 8 hour mowing day coming home changing oil greasing machines changing/sharpening blades doing paperwork or any sort of billing, fixing equipment because we all know **** breaks here and there. You just need to try to limit those neagtive days your never gonna comepletly elimnate them because you can never fully factor in that what if
Then add employees being slow and not caring. Shoot one of my guys turned a 1hr job into 4hrs because he thought he was doing it properly and did not figure out the quicker way of doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
They arent my numbers, I was agreeing with them for the most part though. It looks like he lumped alot into "misc". I think your overlooking that those are expenses for a mowing season (27 weeks) not a year.
yes the numbers are low but im also saying you are forgetting very many expenses...

that 5000 in misc will be blown through in no time not to mention you forgot vehicle ins along with business ins.

*basic maintenance let alone repairs
*800 in advertising wont get you very far how ever it is a start
*most people have to buy a trailer....plates, stickers, ins all adds up on that
*most people need a place to store the gear....storage,ins etc adds up
*assuming the customer always pays on time or at all which sometimes happens
*paying for stamps computer ink and paper add up much quicker then you think as well
*dumping fees if you collect leaves/clippings
*buying the equipment if your not lucky enough to have some already could be a 10-100,000 initial but ongoing expense

thats to name a few it isnt as easy as people say it is and it isnt as hard you just need to know what your getting into and bust your ass
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Then add employees being slow and not caring. Shoot one of my guys turned a 1hr job into 4hrs because he thought he was doing it properly and did not figure out the quicker way of doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device
he would only make that mistake once
Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
haha i dont have to tell you! add employees add workers comp add a wage for them add big time to repairs and hope you add a bunch of work bc for the headaches your gonna need it
Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
he would only make that mistake once
thats what you think unfortunatley not reality. unless you have some one with common sense mistakes are an on going daily problem. and every job is different with ways to do it and your order of operations takes time and planning to get were you need to be doesnt happen over night

for every good emplloyee you find generallly you need to weed out a few first