Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-12-2012, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
Sounds good hope you get it. I would probably stay away from that walk behind. It looks old and probably unreliable. The equipment you have now is fine for the amount of work you have and as you grow so will your equipment list.
Yeah thanks for the advice.. my gut was telling me "no".. Again thank you for the encouragement.. It's nice to have someone encourage you when you are starting out.. its very easy to get discouraged. Take care.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys... I did a sprinkler repair at a weekly residential of mine. I replaced a sprinkler a couple of weeks ago, and repaired a couple of valves.. Then the sprinklers wouldn't come on when they were supposed to.. But the valves are SUPER old and the wiring was terrible, so I told my customer that I couldn't do anymore work on the current valves/wiring and guarantee it, and that we needed to replace them. So anyway.. I had never built a manifold before/wired sprinklers, and this one came out great! I left room for another valve for the future, and capped it off so that I wouldn't have to rip apart the manifold to add any. He was happy with my work, and it fired right up! I just need to take some white spray paint and clean it up a little bit so the blue glue doesn't show.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, good news for me! I went to one of the main gas stations in town on Saturday (AM/PM) to get my propane tank filled for a bbq.. After talking to the guy who was filling it, I determined he was the owner.. I asked him who takes care of the landscape, and he said he just fired the guy! (I was going to mention politely the weeds in the nice fresh mulch and the lack of manicured hedges).. So I asked if I could walk around and then give him a price, and he said go ahead! I gave him a price, and we talked today and he hired me! I didn't even have to submit and official bid or anything! This is a BEAUTIFUL yard and the busiest gas station in town because its centrally located, and its always a cent or two cheaper than the other guys.. So its ALWAYS got people sitting waiting for pumps, so I am bound to get business from this one! I will put a sign out front.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks decent...I've seen straighter mowing lines before though

I saw some Poulan Pro equipment for rent at the mason yard I go to and asked them about it. They say it's pretty good equipment and holds up well to rental use...that surprised me.

Looks like you're off to a good start...you've got about everything you need, even if it isn't all pro grade. I started with a White Outdoor push mower (not self propelled), a Ryobi weed wacker with trimmer, hedge and blower attachments and a beat up pick-up...all stuff I had for my personal use.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I know my lines aren't perfect, but I've seen much worse. They are getting better as I go.

Thanks for the info on the Poulan stuff... It honestly seems like a decent trimmer for a cheapo... The bump head works flawlessly.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of people look down at their mower the whole time when mowing, which greatly limits your perspective. If you look up and straight ahead you'll get straighter lines...yeah you have to look down some too, but if all you're doing is watching your wheels you'll tend to get wobbly lines. I usually "split the lawn" by making one straight line while heading right at a distant object, whether it be a door, a window, a shrub or tree or whatever, and head straight at it. Then I'll mow one side of that line and then the other. Works for me anyway.

My little chain saw is a Poulan, even though it says Husqvarna on it. It's a nice little saw. They make a lot of equipment that gets rebadged. I know they used to make a lot of the Craftsman stuff too...not sure if they still do.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
A lot of people look down at their mower the whole time when mowing, which greatly limits your perspective. If you look up and straight ahead you'll get straighter lines...yeah you have to look down some too, but if all you're doing is watching your wheels you'll tend to get wobbly lines. I usually "split the lawn" by making one straight line while heading right at a distant object, whether it be a door, a window, a shrub or tree or whatever, and head straight at it. Then I'll mow one side of that line and then the other. Works for me anyway.

My little chain saw is a Poulan, even though it says Husqvarna on it. It's a nice little saw. They make a lot of equipment that gets rebadged. I know they used to make a lot of the Craftsman stuff too...not sure if they still do.
Yes they still do make craftsman stuff. I too have a poulan chainsaw and was at OSH the other day and noticed it is identical to the craftsman of the same size, except for the color.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the account I just picked up. The shrubs were overgrown, the beds full of weeds, and the edges not taken care of.. I got the smaller bushes cleaned up today, and the edges all nicely done.. But the beds are another story.

In the 3rd pic you'll see some of the dead spots.. This lawn WAS very nice not too long ago.. I don't know if the owner isn't watering or what... He's a tight wad gas station owner so who knows if he is just trying to save a buck on water.. I'll ask him.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Almost looks like someone sprayed Roundup. Looks pretty good to me for a gas station. I don't think people expect a gas station lawn to be perfect...as long as it looks neat, which it does.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Almost looks like someone sprayed Roundup. Looks pretty good to me for a gas station. I don't think people expect a gas station lawn to be perfect...as long as it looks neat, which it does.
Yeah you're right.. There are quite a few brown spots just here and there.. I don't know why exactly. Like I said, I think it needs water. It didn't feel all that moist like grass normally does when its regularly watered. This job is a big deal to me, so I want it to look good. I really think I'll generate some good leads from it.

I kept your advice in mind about focusing on a distant object when mowing. I did pretty well, but my little 21 inch Snapper bounces around quite a bit, so it causes me to have some sorta jagged lines.. I want to get a nice 36.. But I can't seem to find any good deals locally.