3500/f350 30 16.13%
Other.. Please name 21 11.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
currently I'm running a dodge ram 1500.

next time a 3/4 ton is what I'll be getting.

since it was requested although I fail to see why it matters. I use mine for maintenance only. but I only do maintenance.

I'd use it for installs if I did them. the vehicle really has nothing to do with doing maintenance or installs. one isn't better than another.
If you were dragging around a bobcat or something like that it would matter.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
If you were dragging around a bobcat or something like that it would matter.
not IMO......

I'm not gonna keep different trucks for different jobs. one truck for everything. even my personal needs.

currently it's a half ton. in the future it will be a 3/4 ton. fuel for the truck and gas mileage on the truck is not something I personally pay attention to. it's something that is needed no matter what.

I need a vehicle to drive around for both personal use and work use. I need a truck to do my work. so no matter what it costs I MAKE the truck work no matter what kind of gas mileage it gets or how much it cost to fill the tank. I cut costs elsewhere. not on the vehicle though.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
not IMO......

I'm not gonna keep different trucks for different jobs. one truck for everything. even my personal needs.

currently it's a half ton. in the future it will be a 3/4 ton. fuel for the truck and gas mileage on the truck is not something I personally pay attention to. it's something that is needed no matter what.

I need a vehicle to drive around for both personal use and work use. I need a truck to do my work. so no matter what it costs I MAKE the truck work no matter what kind of gas mileage it gets or how much it cost to fill the tank. I cut costs elsewhere. not on the vehicle though.
Also known as a Tundra LOL

I have towed a full sized track loader and it is a load...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 extended cab 6' bed with a cap.

Personal vehicle turned work truck. It's only used to haul my equipment/tow trailer. I don't use it for mulch, or throw dirt in it. (would be a little tough with the cap anyway)

I don't know of anyone else doing this that keeps a cap on their truck. Most guys toss a mower in the bed - I can't.
I use a cargo carrier on the back of the truck for my 21" mower when I'm working in areas where parking is an issue. Otherwise, I tow a small 5x8 trailer with a walk behind and push mower. My blower(s), trimmers, etc stay in the truck bed.

If I were to buy a truck specifically for what I'm doing, I'd consider a smaller vehicle. I love the thing, but it's killing me to keep the tank filled.

How's that for additional info?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 extended cab 6' bed with a cap.

Personal vehicle turned work truck. It's only used to haul my equipment/tow trailer. I don't use it for mulch, or throw dirt in it. (would be a little tough with the cap anyway)

I don't know of anyone else doing this that keeps a cap on their truck. Most guys toss a mower in the bed - I can't.
I use a cargo carrier on the back of the truck for my 21" mower when I'm working in areas where parking is an issue. Otherwise, I tow a small 5x8 trailer with a walk behind and push mower. My blower(s), trimmers, etc stay in the truck bed.

If I were to buy a truck specifically for what I'm doing, I'd consider a smaller vehicle. I love the thing, but it's killing me to keep the tank filled.

How's that for additional info?
Haha very funny. Well I tow A 6x12 trailer with 2 ztrs in it do I don't think I can get by with a 5x8 trailer
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We are switching over to Ram 4500s little by little. We use to cut with the 1500s but they couldn't/ shouldn't do what we did with them. They went through brakes every year we would come down the hilly streets and stop at a light and then the brake smell would just hit ya. The amount we bag also was an issue the trucks would sag with the weight. Then we tried 3500s and they were nice and for mowing they were enough truck they could tow what we wanted and they could hold 5 yards of grass. However they couldn't hold the weight from full leaf boxes nor can they carry 3-4 yards of top soil which is common for us in spring seeding. So our future fleet will be 4500s with perhaps a 5500 for landscaping jobs and were thinking a 2 single rear wheel 3500s for owner pick ups.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
We are switching over to Ram 4500s little by little. We use to cut with the 1500s but they couldn't/ shouldn't do what we did with them. They went through brakes every year we would come down the hilly streets and stop at a light and then the brake smell would just hit ya. The amount we bag also was an issue the trucks would sag with the weight. Then we tried 3500s and they were nice and for mowing they were enough truck they could tow what we wanted and they could hold 5 yards of grass. However they couldn't hold the weight from full leaf boxes nor can they carry 3-4 yards of top soil which is common for us in spring seeding. So our future fleet will be 4500s with perhaps a 5500 for landscaping jobs and were thinking a 2 single rear wheel 3500s for owner pick ups.
Yeah I saw your thread about old lettering. Nice truck!!

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

'07 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 here (personal vehicle). I'm just small solo part time operation. It tows my 5x8 trailer with a 36" walk behind, handhelds, blower, and gas just fine. As someone else mentioned, I too have a cap on mine (Leer) I can fit a 50gal trash can in there and I keep hand tools and such in the back of the truck. I can lock it up if needed which I like.

Eventually as I expand the business (Just doing it slowly at my own pace right now buying everything in cash) I will probably just get a cabover diesel (isuzu, mitsu, gmc, etc).
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I hear the radio guru (the car guy) this weekend say the Tundra was more like a 1 ton truck than other 1/2 tons but it is not in the class of a F-250.
yell right more like 1800

1500 chevy
3500 chevy
4500 ford

And the new vehicle for me is a 1990 ford fiestiva, 37 mpg, for those errands and estimates. And yes I am going to rig up a hitch and trailer to it.

Last edited by clydebusa; 05-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
'07 Toyota Tacoma double cab 4x4 here (personal vehicle). I'm just small solo part time operation. It tows my 5x8 trailer with a 36" walk behind, handhelds, blower, and gas just fine. As someone else mentioned, I too have a cap on mine (Leer) I can fit a 50gal trash can in there and I keep hand tools and such in the back of the truck. I can lock it up if needed which I like.

Eventually as I expand the business (Just doing it slowly at my own pace right now buying everything in cash) I will probably just get a cabover diesel (isuzu, mitsu, gmc, etc).
I am not alone! LOL!

Mine's an ARE. Since it was purchased long before the truck was pressed into service as a work truck, I had the interior of the cap lined (factory option) with "carpet". (It's like a grey indoor/outdoor product - looks nice)
I also have padding and carpeting on the bed. When you have a cap, you have to crawl around back there and it's hard on the knees. Once I started using it for work, I just covered the whole floor with a huge sheet of cardboard.

I love being able to leave a lot of items in the truck, so I'm not planning on taking the cap off anytime soon. I'm working on adding some hooks/brackets to the ceiling to keep light items like brooms out of the way.