Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2000, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who has the toughest cutting conditions? Northerners or Southerners?

Speaking for the True North I think we may have it the toughest. We haven't gone more than 5 days straight without significant rainfall since April. We're obliterating historic precip records every month. The grass is so tall and wet that we have to double-cut (with dbl blades) and then blow around the clippings and clumps. Many lawns actually require raking...in August! We're cutting 70hrs per week and can barely keep up. We've had to put most extra chores off indefinately and still haven't found time to get out and quote for snowplowing yet. It's been hot and humid despite all the heavy downpours and in a few weeks all the companies around will lose their summer students when school is back in.

I think you boys down south have it easy (this year anyway) compared to the rest of us up here. But I'm sure some of you will argue otherwise.

Wonder how the West Coast guys are doing? There was a dude from Washington who was complaining about having to cut in the rain all the time...now most of the rest of us know how he feels.

Old 08-12-2000, 09:36 AM

South, has it worse. But that was sad. About had me in tears. hehe. Try 95 to over 100 degrees and over 70% humidity for a month. Then post again. See if you change your mind. I don't need to take a bath. I just go outside.
Old 08-12-2000, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

north versus South....

hmmmm...this one has been done before!

GEO
Old 08-12-2000, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geo,

Maybe so, I don't remember and I've been a member as long as you have. Anyhow I'm referring to this season.

Old 08-12-2000, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No contest!!! North all the way. I live in Pittsburgh, I can't keep up. Double, triple cuts, then you drive by three days later, it doesn't even look like you cut it!!! It beats last year, all I did last year was golf!!
Old 08-12-2000, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Cutter,double cuts are the norm down here.You guys do it for mabey seven months,then it's break time.There is no real break in the deep south.To make it worse, you guys make more coinage.And if that ain't enough,I changed blades yesterday around noon. The blades were in the bed of my truck. They dang near burnt my hands. Charles can tell you,by ten oclock,you'll be dripping wet.You guys have (the seasons). We have summer and then a mild summer for about a month. Lets trade.
JOSHUA 24:15
Yesteryear Lawn Care
Old 08-12-2000, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't imagine any worse cutting or working conditions that Florida. Come forwards you Floirda boys, tell them about the heat. The bugs, the relentless sun. The humidity. Bahaia. And the worst of all the ELDERLY! Oh My! LOL we are cutting some accounts every 5 days to keep up with the growth. We are getting 7-8 inches of growth weekly on some St. Augustine accounts (well fertilizied).

Old 08-12-2000, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm from Eastern Washington and haven't had much rain. My lawns are stalling on growth. I sometimes have to mow when it's 90-95 degrees out. Thats tough. BUT, I'd have say that guys with rain have it the worst. Just my 2 cents.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-12-2000, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

well lets see, work vs. no work, thats been my norm for the past 3 seasons this time of year, its so dang hot and doesn't seem to rain for over a month or so, when it does its just enough to make the crab grass grow, at least i get to cut that , thursday i went out the door looked at my thermometer and it said 103, that was at 10:15am! the humidity stays at least 50% or higher daily, pouring from sweat the moment you step out till you go back in. dont know if thats a fair argument for either side but its hot in mississippi!
Old 08-12-2000, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GrassRoots Lawn Care
I can't imagine any worse cutting or working conditions that Florida. Come forwards you Floirda boys, tell them about the heat. The bugs, the relentless sun. The humidity. Bahaia. And the worst of all the ELDERLY!
LOL

Here in Florida it is hot and humid, but I think other places in the south have it worse. At least we have a sea breeze and frequent cooling rains to stir up the air a little. Bahia is tough grass for any that have not experienced it. It is a very fine grass in the spring usually, but by early summer that all changes. It begins to get thick and it sprouts these thin 1 foot+ high stalks that are nearly impossible to cut if they are not cut low enough. If it is dry these stalks do not want to cut at all.

St. Augustine is just plain thick, especially Floratam, with grass blades around a 1/4" wide. Nothing unusual except small seed pods around May and September. Also about these same times the St. Augustine runners grow upward for some reason. If they are not completely cut you have to re-mow the area just to cut a few stray runners.

I have never mowed up north, so I can't compare the two.