Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris Striping Kit SUCKS! What do I do? Ever heard of BIG LEAGUE LAWNS?

I bought a brand new IS3100Z with the rubber striping kit. The dealer I bought it from talked me into this mower with the rubber "striping kit" and I can't get ANYTHING to stripe. I have mowed different kinds of grass, and still no stripe.

I am considering buying a new striping kit from BIG LEAGUE LAWNS. Has anyone ever heard of them? It is a roller system.

Looking for some feedback on this as I am ready to buy something new and give anything a try. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, i have an IS3100Z with the OEM stripe kit. 1st, do you have an ICD deck? 2nd, where did you buy this machine from? MTS?, NRPE?

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 04-30-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dude....ill save you the trouble. You give me the money, ill kick you in the nuts...you'll end up in the same spot. Striping kits are sold to the...ehemm.......less sharp tools in the shed. We've all been there...now it's your turn. Guys insist on believing that "striping kits" are the secret...mower companies sell them because so many yoyo's insist that they are offered snake oil......get it?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your deck might not be set up properly. Having the wrong pitch, level, or spacers can produce a bad cut

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing you need to do is park the mower on a smooth level surface. Then make sure the air pressure in the tires are equal on both sides. Then set the cut height at 3in and turn the right blade so it points front to back, then measure the blade tip to the front and measure the tip pointing to the back. See what they measure at. The front tip should be at 3in and be about a 1/4-1/2in lower then the back tip. If you get the pitch right on the deck, it should stripe good without a striping kit. Check it out and let us know where the deck pitch is set at. I bet it's at minimum, all but even front to back if not higher at the front tip. It's possible the dealer doesn't even check the pitch or any of that and just make sure there's oil in it and everything works. My Scag was pitched less then a 1/8in. Almost level. I adjusted the pitch to 3/8in when it was new 5 years ago. I need to check it out. It's not striping as good as it use too. I think most of the moving parts are worn in pretty good and have caused the pitch to change.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Member

SnowSon does your results look similiar to mine http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=376793 ? Pic is towards bottom of thread.

Mine was setup from dealer and was off side to side and front to back..hardly a stripe or great cut at all. Dealer over 50 miles away so.... pulled out my setup instructions. I researched using the Search function on this site concerning striping and rechecked / adjusted my icd deck within .150 of level to get that result. Some others also stated good results with icd deck being close to level.

Have not tried 3/8" pitch ....but will for confirmation and post if successfull.

Also want to believe stripe could be better.... but I have not recieved feedback on possible solution or that is as good as it gets? Kinda hard to focus in since ground speed, type of grass, cutting length..etc play into the equation.

When you get your issue resolved, post resolution and a pic of results so us newbies can learn something
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Dude....ill save you the trouble. You give me the money, ill kick you in the nuts...you'll end up in the same spot. Striping kits are sold to the...ehemm.......less sharp tools in the shed.
I must be one of those less sharp tools then. I own a Big League Lawns striper and recommend them to everybody that wants to lay the best stripe possible.I live where they say that you can't stripe a lawn because of the grass.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Member

looks good to me ...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a new (bought last year) 1500 and have some cutting issues with it which I have complained about here on several occasions. I now have pics up which are in this thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=377681

Last year my mower would not stripe well at all, I pitced the deck down in the front about 1/4 as suggested here. It nows stipes fairly well. You cannot see it in the pics I put up since I mowed in a different direction than the pics were posted. The stripes dont stand out like others I see around, but it did improve with pitching the deck.

The dealer has had it twice and cannot explain the cut problems. It's and ICD deck, 52in. I thought about putting a longer rubber flap on since I mow at about 3 1/2 in or so and the rubber flap really doesnt touch the grass at this level.

I was told in the thread above NOT to pitch the ICD deck. So I am at a loss of what to do with this mower. Good luck OP.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a is2000z w/61" icd it stripes ok for me it could be better though. I have noticed that Simplicity Cobalt mower uses a roller on their version of the Ferris mower deck. But I have not seen any info on how they stripe? I would think it would be a bolt on to our icd decks if it works. I would think it would be better than a rubber flapper.