Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Plastic happened.
understandable...why wouldn't they jump on the band wagon? kinda crazy, looks like back then hall, buckner, etc. were the big players in the game and if it weren't for this thread i would have never heard of them...about when did plastic take over? has it been hunter toro rainbird ever since?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Low ballers, death of the founder, segmentation among installers, builders installing the systems, did Hall under. they didn't adapt. They were using plastic like everybody else. The profit margin on installs from 1950 to 1980 was a lot higher then the profit margins from 1980 to 2110. Becoming mean and lean wasn't in their nature.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
The profit margin on installs from 1950 to 1980 was a lot higher then the profit margins from 1980 to 2110. Becoming mean and lean wasn't in their nature.
I always thought that you were from the future.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes in the future everybody will be using remotes and I have a billion dollar pigtail company but am being sued over monopoly issues.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this all is making a lot of sense...i know of a few builders who do their own here, the system is cheaply and incorrectly installed...i also know a guy who was really one of the first big companies (70's/80's/90's) in the area who has installed a lot of systems, i just recently found out his last install was in 2000, he's strictly maintenance now...there is still a profit to be made on installs but not a lot, many do them just to get the future maintenance...

this reminds me of the movie jumanji when Parrish shoe factory went under...kinda gay i know

anyhow, thanks for the history lesson...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes in the future everybody will be using remotes and I have a billion dollar pigtail company but am being sued over monopoly issues.
crush the haters like gnats - meanwhile, Afghani poppy growers abandon their farms in favor of pigtail manufacturing.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When that happens I'll do my IPO and top the record set by Facebook.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Low ballers, death of the founder, segmentation among installers, builders installing the systems, did Hall under. they didn't adapt. They were using plastic like everybody else. The profit margin on installs from 1950 to 1980 was a lot higher then the profit margins from 1980 to 2110. Becoming mean and lean wasn't in their nature.
death of the founder was probably the downfall. A lot of businesses don't realize that the "out of touch" old man that "did nothing" but start the business usually has a little insight into how to run a business. I would put a 95 year old man with Alzheimer's up against any 4 years out of college business major. (I should know I am one)

Same thing happened in my family. Took my Grandad 45 years to build one of the largest businesses in his field, but took his Son (my uncle) five years to ruin it. His "innovative" strategies and management practices tanked the company in what should have been the most profitable times in the last two decades. The people in my generation need to learn with their ears, not with their flapping lips.

Off-Soap-Box
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
death of the founder was probably the downfall. A lot of businesses don't realize that the "out of touch" old man that "did nothing" but start the business usually has a little insight into how to run a business. The people in my generation need to learn with their ears, not with their flapping lips.
True words, I know of a handful of quality businesses that went belly-up after sonny took over. I guess my quote of the day would be, "The less people have to say, the louder they say it."
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I asked Henry and he said the burden of the proof is on you. Pics please
Here's a photo of a Buckner tailpiece on some eBay heads that resemble the old ones. Hind of a hex with the corners rounded off. Note the flats on the Buckner nozzles that Moody nozzles didn't have.
Attached Images