Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can you test a tree for carpenter ants?

can you test a tree for carpenter ants?

the limb i cut down was filled with them, where i cut it off at did not have any holes or tunnels, although it looks as if one of them healed that they original tunneled through into the limb.

looks like a 3rd trunk of the tree fell due to them, but it also looks like its some time ago.

can i test the rest of the tree for them?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Odds they are all through the tree already. I'm guessing probably a maple.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure what kind. not the best at identification. i do have pics of the hollowed out logs and a pile of grubs tho

doubt he'll actually want me to take the tree down, i did tell him its probably filled. im sure its gotta be full. although, there were no holes from the part i cut off to the trunk. or at least if there were they are filled in. does that mean anything?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

from my exterminating days you can tell if there is a lot of frass (sawdust at the base of the tree ). They will really weaken the tree so if it is leaning towards the house it is better to remove it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4irish View Post
from my exterminating days you can tell if there is a lot of frass (sawdust at the base of the tree ). They will really weaken the tree so if it is leaning towards the house it is better to remove it.
i caint say there is much, but then again there wasnt much under the branch and that was half missing and about to fall on its own.

frankly i think the only reason he let me do it was because i said i wouldnt mow under it untill it was removed.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is technology that will let you know if there are large voids in the trunk that could lead to total failure. If the customer is willing to flip the bill, see about having a tree company come in that has a sensor for doing tomography or another form of density sensing. Basically it is a sensor that his held against the trunk in multiple locations and works similar to sonar showing the density density of the wood. Large voids from rot or insects will be evident. Not all arborists use this technology, but you should be able to find a larger company with one if you call around.

From the sound of your post, I'm going to assume that your customer probably wont want to flip the bill for this. I am posting this info mainly for anyone who may come upon this in a future search.