Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

New 16 year old just wanting some advice!

Hey guys, I'm 16 just bought an exmark metro 36 and a little 4x8 dump trailer I haul it on, and I use my brothers f250 to pull the whole thing with. But, I need to buy a bigger trailer, and my own truck, and I'm talking to a guy right low about a scg turf tiger zero turn for larger lawns. So, I need to know how to get officially licensed by the state (I live in kansas) I have some insurence, $100,000 personal, $400,000 property would you say I should look into getting half a mil all around? And also, what would you say would be a good size truck (year, model, make) I have been looking at some 1996-2004 extended cab, long bed, f-150s and f-250s. And last but not least, trailer size. I was thinking a 7x14 or a 7x16 dual axle with breaks. Just let me know what you all think! Thanks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you plan on going in the business full time for the long run the more insurance the better... ESPECIALLY if you ever plan on doing Big Commercial Accounts....

Interms of a "Good sized truck" I have always pulled with a 1 ton dump truck or a 2 and a half ton pickup. If you Plan on snowplowing a 250 or 2500 will be pretty good for now. Thats what i would recommend. A F150 or GMC 1500 will get you by...But a 2500 or 250 would be alot better IN MY OPINION! Also i wouldnt get a long bed. Makes it harder when plowing...

The good thing about trailers are you can buy them locally used, and use it for a while then upgrade! My 7x14 is perfect for my lawn cutting crew. The longer the better.
I love my 20 and 24' enclosed trailers though.

PM For DETAILS!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Alright! Awesome, I agree with the insurence, I had a call from a lawn company needing sub-contractors and they needed atleast $300,000 personal. So here is another question, would it be work it to get a sub-contracting job? They said that they will be paying $25 per lawn if I remember. And I get to bill them for any maintinence on my mowers or handhelds. And they pay $5 per lawn for gas. Worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With a 3/4 ton truck you will need DOT numbers and everything associated with that, but its all pretty simple to do. Make sure whatever trailer you buy has brakes on both axles. Under no circumstances would I get a short bed work truck. Guys here plow with 4 door long bed trucks and seem to do fine. You will need the bed space for grass clippings, equipment, materials, etc.

My only other advice is don't jump in too much, enjoy being a kid for a couple more years. Nothing wrong with buying lots of bad ass equipment and trucks if you can afford to, but don't spend every minute you have working.

Where in Kansas are you from?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan51 View Post
Alright! Awesome, I agree with the insurence, I had a call from a lawn company needing sub-contractors and they needed atleast $300,000 personal. So here is another question, would it be work it to get a sub-contracting job? They said that they will be paying $25 per lawn if I remember. And I get to bill them for any maintinence on my mowers or handhelds. And they pay $5 per lawn for gas. Worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess it depends how hungary you are and how long you want to wait to get paid?. If all of your expenses are covered and you can still show a profit after each lawn mowed than try it but remember if you ave to wait 30 days to get paid, FORGET IT.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Where in Kansas are you from?

I am Kansas city, Kansas, Roeland park/ overland park area. I would say I like being a kid, but this is a helluva lot of fun! And yeah, I agree, I have seen a lot of 350 or 450 4 door long bed plow trucks. I have been thinking about getting one of the city's plow trucks, because they sell those fairly often. And they aren't to expincive.
And yeah I would probably wait for a bit, maybe till next season to do the sub contracting. Get some more equipment maybe a truck or 2 of my own.
Posted via Mobile Device