Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Another classic case of beautiful tree planted in the wrong place.

Remember one fact--This species of tree is a slow grower and slow to recover from pruning. I air layer these trees if possible to allow better air flow. Light is better received into the inner branches. Often these trees will have dead inner limbs and twigs from light deprivation. These must be pruned out. When you have to prune back the limbs--go back to the leader limb and do not cut off the tip of the twig, branch,etc. The branch will die back if you do this. Do not cut back more than 1/3 of these trees at any one time. The tree will succumb to sunburn and scald if you prune when it gets too hot. Make sure there is plenty of water and use 12/6/6 fertilizer with micro's.
I will not steer you wrong.....because I prune these trees all day long as most of my customers have at least 5 species of these trees per site. These are not cheap by any means and if you don't know what you are doing...........you will be replacing one.
To replace this tree at our nurseries will be around 500-800 bux....purchase price.

From the looks of this photo with the tree already being out over the sidewalk---the inner limbs have become large. To get those limbs back off the walkway---this tree will have to be trimmed back severely. Tell the customer this tree will look terrible for quite a while. next time they don't need to have waited or allowed this tree to grow this long.
Yea you just are not lying. They are beautiful if you take care of them or plant them in the right spot. I had a feeling if I trimmed this too much it would kill it. I guess that is why I am here. I kind of looked inside the tree and it is completely bare and yes it had larger branches. Prob an inch or larger. Cant really remember. Only the outside of tree has growth. I am not sure how much sun it gets. It was cloudy when I was over there. If I had to guess it does not receive direct sun all day.

Your info sounds good. I have not talked with the owner about what they want to do about it. I was just asked to give a bid on cleaning up the landscape so I want to make sure I get my numbers right first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecraver View Post
It would be good if the sidewalk could be widened at that point to save the tree.The pruning this tree needs would be more than it could handle and it would surely die.
Yes, it would be nice but I dont think they will probably be in for widening their sidewalk lol. I do believe this tree will be hard to trim like you said without stressing it out to the extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecraver View Post
Transplanting this tree is possible with the right equipment and the right person with experience. Even so it's chance of survival would be 40-50%
1) Have a written agreement with the owner that if the tree should die that is a risk he is willing to take without holding you accountable.
2) Get a sub-contractor with the equipment and experience to move the tree.
3) The area needed to dig a root ball large enough will impact the plants around it.Be sure that is understood in the agreement.
4) Making a little money using a sub, is better than taking a risk on something this sensitive.

Good Luck!
Transplanting may be possible but I highly doubt they would want to spend that kind of money to move a tree. I do appreciate the idea though. It had not crossed my mind. I would def not try my luck at transplanting. It would def be subbed out.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

I went to cut a property for a friend of a friend. While there a neighbor stopped me to complement me on backing my truck and trailer down the dead end. She then said can you give me an estimate. I did she agreed and i cut it next. Afterward she pointed to a Japanese maple and said can you clean that up? My mother in law has one and it's a royal pain in the a$$ so I simply said i don't know enough about them because i know they are fragile and it's not covered under my insurance. Not worth the headaches down the line long story short. To me seems like your in the same boat not worth the hassle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start at the bottom, work up and bonzai the sucker and come back every few years to clean it up.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I had one in my yard that looked like that only much larger. I pruned it with a chain saw and it looked great the following year. As I was doing it, I thought oh my God what have I done to this tree!!! lol

IMO, it either needs to be transplanted, aggressively cut back and shaped or removed and replaced with something else. I would not want to transplant a tree that big though. That would be a huge job (for me anyways) and if not done correctly will place too much stress on it. This time of year the only option is to cut it back.

A dwarf Japanese Maple would have been perfect in that spot with some pruning to keep the correct size/shape. Beautiful tree though.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The first few responces are spot on. It is prune not trim.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Another classic case of beautiful tree planted in the wrong place.

Remember one fact--This species of tree is a slow grower and slow to recover from pruning. I air layer these trees if possible to allow better air flow. Light is better received into the inner branches. Often these trees will have dead inner limbs and twigs from light deprivation. These must be pruned out. When you have to prune back the limbs--go back to the leader limb and do not cut off the tip of the twig, branch,etc. The branch will die back if you do this. Do not cut back more than 1/3 of these trees at any one time. The tree will succumb to sunburn and scald if you prune when it gets too hot. Make sure there is plenty of water and use 12/6/6 fertilizer with micro's.
I will not steer you wrong.....because I prune these trees all day long as most of my customers have at least 5 species of these trees per site. These are not cheap by any means and if you don't know what you are doing...........you will be replacing one.
To replace this tree at our nurseries will be around 500-800 bux....purchase price.

From the looks of this photo with the tree already being out over the sidewalk---the inner limbs have become large. To get those limbs back off the walkway---this tree will have to be trimmed back severely. Tell the customer this tree will look terrible for quite a while. next time they don't need to have waited or allowed this tree to grow this long.
these trees japanese maples have got the focus of my attention tonight and been trying to learn more about them past day time permitting. think green i seen your post and knowing u are very knowledgeable and remember getting some great help yrs back on a weeping cherry yrs back, what was wondering with the different type of these maples are they all considered lace maple as well? thought i was pretty sure there was a difference but tonite now i'm not so sure, thanks
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you wait till winter you can move it bare root. Probably take 2 or 3 hours to move to new location. Should come out in Spring with no issues. There is a guy locally who only grows jap maples. He keeps his root pruned so they can be dug any time of year a buyer shows up. He has plants well over $2K and I've never known him to lose one. On Friday I'll post a pic of one I moved 3 years ago. Plants used to be field grown all the time.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I would just get rid of it. Planted in the wrong place with the back side all jacked up due to the shrubs. I would have to see the branching structure to determine if it could be successfully pruned or not without completely damaging the natural habit of the tree. The goal here would be to allow natural (but directed) growth to allow it to still retain it's natural habit without impeding on the sidewalk. Regardless, it is still in the wrong place and chances are better than not it will turn into a maintenance nightmare to even keep it looking half-way acceptable and off of the sidewalk.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looking at my other post, it was late and half asleep, wasn't to clear, sorry bout that. i was curious, not quite sure how to ask this but is japanese maple and japanese lace one and same. i'm sure these are different varieties and not to get to complicated but if not is there a distinct way to tell the difference?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
If you wait till winter you can move it bare root. Probably take 2 or 3 hours to move to new location. Should come out in Spring with no issues. There is a guy locally who only grows jap maples. He keeps his root pruned so they can be dug any time of year a buyer shows up. He has plants well over $2K and I've never known him to lose one. On Friday I'll post a pic of one I moved 3 years ago. Plants used to be field grown all the time.
Bingo we have a winner!

That is what I would do even if it is a major prune. Let the tree make food all growing season then when dormant either move or prune. First you can see the canopy for pruning better without leaves. The tree will recover much faster from a major prune job if you do it while dormant. The tree will have all kinds of stored energy from the growing season and will back bud on older growth much better in the spring. The tree will get the best light conditions before all the other plants put out foliage. They don't take pruning during the growing season well here I live in the deep south. They live here but have a hard time witch is to be expected they are a tree that grow in the mountains of Japan. If you time the prune right you should do it before the tree starts to push out new buds so it does not waste energy forming buds that you will prune off. Late winter right before spring. Here that is crazy early like the first couple weeks in February. I have no idea what the timing should be for your area.