Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone and Their Dog Has a Mower Now.

Yikes! This is the craziest it's been in years. Today is the official start of the season and today alone I saw five different operations that I've never seen before.

I live in a fairly small area. Although I've always felt there is plenty of work to go around, this concerns me.

I had two customers tell me today that they have been approached by "some guy" offering to mow for less than we are charging. Without even knowing what we are charging.

I guess this is one of the problems with being the big fish in such a small pond.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 dogs and they have 2 mowers each. It is a dog eat dog business. It never fails that you will lose a few customers each year, either to a cheaper price, houses being sold, or the death of a customer.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Whoa! Don't even talk about them dying. I've lost too many that way. But you're right.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind this happens every year. Out of 5 new start ups....maybe 1 will still be around next year.

And still not rich

Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This does happen every year and at one point you and I was one of those new guys. So just smile and wave! And in Oklahoma I tell them they will enjoy July and August!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick story. On my street there's two landscapers, myself and my buddy. Now my buddy is a MUCH larger operation than myself. Although we both don't service the area where we live (I do a few miles away, in the same town however).
Now my buddy had 3 of his trucks and a enclosed trailer at his house that he brought home from the shop and I was working on my trailer in my driveway the other day. I've seen about 5 different junk cars go mailbox to mailbox putting their so called "fliers" around. Finally, this ole Dodge Durango pulls up in front of my house with two 20 somethings with bad attitudes. I walk down to my mailbox (for the 6th time) and snatch their flier and stop them in front of my house. I look at their flier and go, "You realize you can't put these on the mailbox" and they respond with "Why the hell not." Instantly, I can tell they're just the type I would love to cut my lawn. I look at their flier, a name I've never heard before, but been in business since 1988? I respond with, "Listen, if you had any sort of brain you would realize that you just delivered your flier to a business owner with a large presence in this market, right down the street, and I myself, am your competition. You have not been in business since 1988, and your fliers are down right tacky. Do yourself a favor and stop advertising $15 dollar cuts to my half acre lawn now and maybe you'll survive until next spring."

I usually don't do or care about this sort of thing. I was new a few years ago as well. However, when you are the direct witness of these "fly by nights" that stuff a push mower in the back of their car, you just can't help but confront it. The look on their face however, priceless. Every year I see a new "company". Professionalism and bid experience seems to do them in.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It the business learn to love it or find a new trade. We lost 12 properties this year to homes being sold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They pop up all the time
These Mower Companies build there cheap lines what got this all started
Factories closing doesn't help either one Closed here back in 03 and 6 mowing companies pop up out the 6 only 2 is still going.
I live in small town population 35k At one my jobs I had re bid there was 21 different Mowing bids.
Funny part is in 80s up to middle 90s I was only one in my town that did Mowing as a business.
I say there is at least 1 mow guy to 1k people in this town
This reason I don't just mow 2/3 of them here is all they do mow/blow
Old 04-02-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, dog eat dog and your wearing milkbone underwear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
They pop up all the time
These Mower Companies build there cheap lines what got this all started
Factories closing doesn't help either one Closed here back in 03 and 6 mowing companies pop up out the 6 only 2 is still going.
I live in small town population 35k At one my jobs I had re bid there was 21 different Mowing bids.
Funny part is in 80s up to middle 90s I was only one in my town that did Mowing as a business.
I say there is at least 1 mow guy to 1k people in this town
This reason I don't just mow 2/3 of them here is all they do mow/blow
seriously I think the mowing equipment got too good.

Most guys jump into it because they want to justify a cool truck and a sweet mower.
I keep trying to steer them toward a bass boat.

No one jumps into this business because Izusu NPR and Bunton walk behinds are desirable.