Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag Striping Kit?

Anyone have a turf tiger with a striping kit? i know they stripe well without them just wondering if anyone has one and how much better are the stripes?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The stripes are better. I bought the Tiger striping kit when I bought my mower. It does a better job but the terrain has to be fairly smooth. No sharp angle changes as the kit is spring loaded and can only be pushed up so far before it binds and you're stuck with the wheels spinning going nowhere. You can not load or unload the mower from the trailer with it on. It doesn't take a lot of time to install or remove but it becomes a pain to deal with after awhile. I only use it on my lawn and that's once in a blue moon anymore. Make sure the deck has enough pitch. If it's a larger 61in deck, go at minimum, 3/8in if not a 1/2 in. of pitch. Any mower with the deck set right will stripe. Some of the nicest looking lawns I've seen in my area are cut by the homeowner using a box store riding mower!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I like the concept of it being spring loaded, but the whole taking it on and off everytime would get old. Do they not have something from the seat you can raise it up for transporting it?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

i didnt have to take mine off or put it in the up position when i went on the trailer. its stripes nice but does become a pain to deal with after a while. i actually just broke mine tonight, i moved it from my TT to my cheetah and the brackets were different. so i ended up bending the brackets while working today.
They are pretty expensive for what they do. and after one or 2 times on a lawn the stripes dont get much better
Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does it not come with a roller on rear of deck like the Vride?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah one of my buddys has 2 turf tigers without the striping kit and they stripe pretty good I must say. Didnt know if it was worth the extra time and money or not.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke08 View Post
Yeah one of my buddys has 2 turf tigers without the striping kit and they stripe pretty good I must say. Didnt know if it was worth the extra time and money or not.
Had I known what it takes (for me anyway) to use it all day and putting it on and taking it off I would have saved the money. Go back to my first post and check the set up on the deck to see where it's at and make any necessary adjustments it may need. Proper pitch is the key to good stripes
Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stripes

If putting down excellent stripes is what your looking to do then I would recommend the Scag striper. I have owned many Scags that would stripe great without a stripe kit but as soon as I put one on my Turf Tiger i was getting people coming up to me asking me to "make their yard look like that". The stripe kit has added alot more detail to the stripes on my customers lawns. Mt Turf Tiger has the Stripe kit and I leave it down all the time. I can load onto my trailer without any problems. I even jump curbs with it. nearly 1000 hours and I did bend it last week for the second time on a root sticking out of the ground. I backed up like I have a thousand times at this customers lawn and it caught on a root and bent it almost in a 9o degree angle. They do make for better stripes in my experience. The Scag will stripe good without one but they add more definition or "shading" to the stripes.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice! Always appreciated
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blevins View Post
If putting down excellent stripes is what your looking to do then I would recommend the Scag striper. I have owned many Scags that would stripe great without a stripe kit but as soon as I put one on my Turf Tiger i was getting people coming up to me asking me to "make their yard look like that". The stripe kit has added alot more detail to the stripes on my customers lawns. Mt Turf Tiger has the Stripe kit and I leave it down all the time. I can load onto my trailer without any problems. I even jump curbs with it. nearly 1000 hours and I did bend it last week for the second time on a root sticking out of the ground. I backed up like I have a thousand times at this customers lawn and it caught on a root and bent it almost in a 9o degree angle. They do make for better stripes in my experience. The Scag will stripe good without one but they add more definition or "shading" to the stripes.
Got any pictures?