Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Suspended

OK, let me try this one more time Ö

I would like to have a discussion about possible solutions to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS running cut-rate low quality lawn-care services. In hopes of preserving our standard of living. My previous post ended up totally off topic. Good grief, if someone asked what time it is, some of you guys would start arguing about how to build a watch!

What is off topic?

1. Personal experiences or opinions, on what race of worker is the most productive. If you automatically believe a Mexican is superior to an American (or vise-versa) based on nationality or genetic traits alone, YOU ARE A RACIST. I never mentioned any particular nationality or race. Besides, Americans come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.
2. Scabs, locusts, the plague, or any problem OTHER than Illegal Immigrants/Aliens. Want to talk about some of those problems? Then start another topic!

Hoping to start an intelligent dialog on the subject at hand, let me repeat:

Iím pretty new to the lawn care business, and just read a post about someone wanting to start a union in their area to keep lawn service prices from falling. Iíve been a member of 4 different unions and am totally against them as a result. Never the less, something Iíve been considering lately is the effect of illegal immigrants on our business.

Genetic traits are next to invisible to me, but cultural differences arenít. Iíve heard of astonishing numbers of people sneaking into to our country doing the jobs ďnobody wants to do.Ē If theyíre willing to live with 5 room-mates to one apartment and eat rice and beans every day, theyíre not just lowering prices, but our standard of living as well.

One local guy (of questionable citizenship) advertises $20 for any lawn up to an acre! And his work looks just as bad as you could imagine. I have no problem with that price. If his customers are that cheap, most of us would never work for them anyway. Those guys come and go. Besides, heís showing a lack of business sense and will never be able to make enough money to last. But if heís not here legally, then *$## yes I have a problem with that price.

Everyoneís got a sob-story; poor immigrants that came from dire circumstances, customers on a fixed income, LCOís that canít make payments on their new Dixie Chopper without $5/hr labor, etc. etc. This is business, not charity. If someone wants to give price breaks to selected customers, fine. All Iím talking about is fair competition and enforcement of the law. Iím wondering what would be an effective way to make it difficult for illegal immigrants.

More government is a bad thing. But should all LCOís be licensed to prove citizenship? No fee, just proof that youíre legal. That way, if you suspect a crew is not competing fairly, you could find out where they operate out of, and send and enforcement officer to check.

Suggestions?
Old 12-20-2002, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is the wrong place to be discussing this.

you need to write your congressmen.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have no clue what ur talking about! I've never seen so called illegal imigrants haveing their own LCO. For one thing, if they are here illegally, they are trying to keep a low profile, not placing ads in papers offering lawn service.
What i do know is that Mexicans are the hardest working employes that i've ever had. they work hard, long hours, show up every day and work for wages that allow me to surrvive in business. and no not $2-$3 per hour, but $8-$10. They are a invaluable asset to the green industry and i feel most of us wouldn't not be as successful as we are with out them.

In all honesty i think you should take this discussion somewhere else.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has a nice site might learn something there that could help you.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
This is the wrong place to be discussing this.

you need to write your congressmen.
I concur, furthermore, were it not for the presence of immigrants (legal or ilegal) our nations economy would be much worst than it is at this moment. Our nation has seen numerours periods throughout history where immigrants, mostly illegal, carries the economy thru hard times. This point in time being one of them.

Step back and take a fresh perspective, does it really make a difference........"One local guy (of questionable citizenship) advertises $20 for any lawn up to an acre! And his work looks just as bad as you could imagine. I have no problem with that price. If his customers are that cheap, most of us would never work for them anyway. Those guys come and go. Besides, heís showing a lack of business sense and will never be able to make enough money to last. But if heís not here legally, then *$## yes I have a problem with that price. "........if this guy is making twenty bucks a mow, SO WHAT, is he talking clients from you? MUST BE .......!

If our nation has a period of good growth ahead, it will be fueled by immigrants. Its reality, I'd suggest you get over this and move on. With Regards...DEVILDOG
Old 12-20-2002, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
If you are aware of any ill eagles you should contact these folks:
Raptor Rehabilitation Center
Old 12-20-2002, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Raptor Rehabitilation Center for ill eagles?? Thats a hoot!! I guess this means we are off topic already.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Actually, eagles are not raptors at all. They belong to the class Aves which evolved during the great reptilian radiation of the mesozoic era. The radiation of amniotes (egg laying organisms) gave rise to a diversity of terrestrial forms, including dinosaurs. So, birds in general seem to be an extant group of flying "reptiles"!!! So to say that eagles are a raptor would be an incorrect statement seeing that the Aves class evolved from early reptiles which raptors belong. Maybe call it Acute Aves disabilities??
Old 12-20-2002, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

cst51

woooow that's some valuable information.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Thanks guys, your helpful insights sound like everything Iíve come to expect from those with years of government training. Iíve learned that Illegal Immigrants are really a great benefit to our economy. They have to be, since thatís what they tell us on the CBS evening news, and you guys have to know what youíre talking about. In fact, theyíre not really illegal, theyíre actually ďUndocumented Immigrants.Ē Something else Iíve learned here is that I havenít really seen what Iíve seen with my own eyes. What I actually saw, is what some of you think Iíve seen. Next time I need to build a watch, Iíll ask you guys what time it is.