Register free!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Spreader help

So I ditched the Scotts rotary spreader and decided to step up and buy a better unit. I went with a Lesco 50lb spreader.

Can someone explain exactly how to calibrate this spreader? This explanation just seems cryptic to me. A youtube video would be great!:

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/AboutUs.asp?LID=900061

TO ACHIEVE THE CORRECT PRODUCT APPLICATION RATE:

The approximate spreader settings printed on any product label should only be used as the initial setting for calibration. Set the rate control arm at this approximate setting. Using the collection of boxes or pans, make a single pass over them to determine the effective pattern width. The effective pattern width is twice (2x) the distance to the point where the rate drops to one-half the average rate at the center. Example: If the product in the vials from the center boxes averages two inches in depth, count out to the vial that has one inch of product. If this is the fifth vial from the center and the boxes were on one-foot centres, the effective pattern width is ten feet. (2 x 5 ft.)

Knowing the effective pattern width (ten feet), measure out a lineal distance equal to 1,000 sq ft. (10 ft x 100 ft = 1000 sq ft) Weigh 20 lbs of product and place it in the spreader hopper and spread it over the distance necessary to equal 1,000 sq ft. (100 ft) then weigh the product left in the hopper and subtract this amount from the amount with which you started. The result is the application rate for this product in pounds per 1,000 square feet that your spreader is currently adjusted to disperse. Adjust the rate control arm up or down as needed and repeat this procedure until the correct application rate is achieved.

TO USE THE LESCO CALIBRATION GAUGES:

The LESCO Calibration Gauges provide a series of "steps", numbered in 1/32-inch increments, which will allow you to fine-tune the LESCO spreader. Once you have calibrated your LESCO rotary spreader for the product chosen, open the operating lever and insert the calibration gauges until you determine which step fits tightly into one of the open holes in the hopper bottom. Record that step number for future reference when using that product. You may choose to set other LESCO rotary spreaders for application of the same product by adjusting the shutoff plate to that calibration gauge step. This will provide consistent settings for all of your LESCO spreaders. To recalibrate your Lesco rotary spreader after a period of use, adjust the rate control arm to the "24" position. Open the operating lever and insert even-numbered LESCO Calibration Gauge into one of the open holes in the hopper bottom. Close the operating lever and let the shutoff plate on the underside of the hopper make contact with the number ten step on the Lesco Calibration gauge. Move the rate control arm back toward the "6" position until he bottom of the arm makes contact with the shutoff plate. If your spreader is properly adjusted, the top of the rate control arm should be at setting "9". To correct variances, remove the rate control arm, place the bottom of the arm (up to the bolt hole) in a vice, and bend either to the right or the left.

So I guess my first question is this. I assembled this unit for the first time. Can I assume it's fine out of the box and calibrated correctly? If not I set it to 24, open up the hopper, put the #10 step gauge in the hole. Close the hopper, then move the rate control arm to 6 with the #10 gauge still inserted? If I just set it to 6 how would it then be at 9? HELP
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, Are the step gauges supposed to match the arm numbers? Meaning if I set it to 24 and put a #24 guage in it it should be spot on?