Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

my time break down for the day

In an effort to track my time and get a exact cost per hour I kept up with where I spent my time so far this week. The following is a monday - thursday lunch.

Work hours - 27.9 (this is the time from trailer hook up to trailer drop off)
truck hours - 8.3 (I kept up with the hour meter on my truck. Assuming this is the time the truck was running)
drink/gas hours - 2 (estimated number 2 drink stops per day and a gas fill up)

After all that it leaves only 17.6 hour of actual mow/trim/blow time!!

So you guys figuring up your cost this is a good example of work hours versus billable hours.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

A lot of guys go to great lengths to get a lot of work in one location for this very reason. I read a post on here last week where a guy was bidding 10 bucks per yard but because they were all in the same area and lots of them he was making more money than the guy charging 30 and having to load and un load all day and drive all over town.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good post.

My driving time is usually less than 1 hour.

I generally work 6 to 8 hours most days, yesterday 14 hours.

I figure I spend 30 minutes on average on equiptment and truck maintance, including unloading the truck as I haul away debris from my accounts.

Tight routes are the key for me, also Im thinking of moving closer to the area I service which is 10 miles from my house.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

all my accounts are within 10 miles of my house. i average driving 30miles a day. some days a bit less and some days a bit more. i also don't have drink stops. i take drinks with me and i stop for lunch on the way to a yard. i don't drive out of the way to go to lunch. i stop to fill up with gas maybe once a week. my mow/trim/blow time is about 5hrs a day so that's 25hrs a week.

i work about 6hrs a day on average. 5 is actual work and the other hour is driving and eating lunch. (30min lunch)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW, the over time will kill you
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This must be Solo thread
Old 05-05-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes snyder I am solo and just did through Thursday.

The truck time includes trips to po office, bank, and a few estimates which was include in my truck time. I also tried to not include those in the work ours. So work hours were the same and truck time should be a little less. Te drink and gas stop time was an over estimate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Try freezing water bottles and taking them with you. Also, get gas in bulk to limit trips to the gas station. I take all 3 of my mowers and fill them up at the end of every work week, fill up a 5 gallon can for mixed gas, and fill up a few 5 gallon cans for mower gas. Cut trimmer string for the whole week and have a few extra heads already wound up so if I run out at a yard im not cutting and re-stringing when I should be mowing. Have my helper or myself refill mowers and 2 stroke equipment when the other is finishing up blowing a yard. The little things really do add up if your doing alot of yards. Really been making an effort to limit trips to the gas station and its amazing how much time can be saved and energy of getting alot of gas at one time.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
In an effort to track my time and get a exact cost per hour I kept up with where I spent my time so far this week. The following is a monday - thursday lunch.

Work hours - 27.9 (this is the time from trailer hook up to trailer drop off)
truck hours - 8.3 (I kept up with the hour meter on my truck. Assuming this is the time the truck was running)
drink/gas hours - 2 (estimated number 2 drink stops per day and a gas fill up)

After all that it leaves only 17.6 hour of actual mow/trim/blow time!!

So you guys figuring up your cost this is a good example of work hours versus billable hours.
With all do respect your example does not mention the amount of time it takes to maintain your equipment nor account for any additional down time incurred if your equipment needs to be left with a repair shop. If you have no provision to include this time with your work hours verses billable hours your est is flawed. Also you neglected to include the time it takes to maintain contact with your customers by phone or mail or email as well as the time it takes to bill all of your accounts. All must be factored into your estimate other wise it is incomplete at best. Unless of course you don't consider my examples work hours.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
With all do respect your example does not mention the amount of time it takes to maintain your equipment nor account for any additional down time incurred if your equipment needs to be left with a repair shop. If you have no provision to include this time with your work hours verses billable hours your est is flawed. Also you neglected to include the time it takes to maintain contact with your customers by phone or mail or email as well as the time it takes to bill all of your accounts. All must be factored into your estimate other wise it is incomplete at best. Unless of course you don't consider my examples work hours.
easy-lift guy
Are you saying that if a lawn takes you 30 minutes to cut you might charge them for 45 minutes to include book work maintenance and possible repairs?

I let my profit margin cover most of those expenses. If I had a full time mechanic or secretary I would have to factor that into my billable time but unfortunately the book work and repairs are done after 5 and by me.
Posted via Mobile Device