search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member
Difficulty Degree in Bids?

I'm working on a bid for a property that has a large degree of difficulty. I love a challenge and this one is just that. Most of my stuff is straight forward residential, easy to bid. This one?!?!? ...16000 sq ft strip between sidewalk and buildings 1200 linear ft. long. Twenty- 20ft brick walls, a drop off and evergreens placed so close only a small walk can get in there. A sloped grass area to the water around a pond 8600 sq ft that must be walked also, because I refuse to loose my zero turn (sorry don't know the slope degree yet). The balance of this property is 31000 sq ft. Keep in mind a sidewalk that needs to be hit every mow is 2400 linear ft. So difficulty degree must be added. I know, figure the time overhead etc. Been there done that, just not trusting the outcome because of the difficulty factor. I'm listening.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member
I'm not much help on actual numbers, but I can agree about the difficulty of a job should play a big part in the bidding process. A local retired landscaper who has mentored me some said he always came up with his bids kinda like this "materials+labor+whatever+AF= bid" AF is the Aggravation Factor, i.e. how difficult the overall job is. Like you said, the job has certain constraints that increase labor and cost. The retired landscaper told me that the AF could be a difficult customer, a municipality/state/fed job that had a long pay period, or actual physical obstacles or limitations to completing a job like you're talking about. My point is that we're sometimes afraid to give a high(er) number because we think a job is going to be a pain/more difficult to complete than it might be otherwise, and that sometimes sitting down and thinking about what the AF of the job equates to in actual $$ sometimes can be the difference in a profitable job or account and one that is a headache and not profitable.
Big "A" Wilson
Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you for answering. I so agree, its hard to give that higher bid. On the same note you certainly don't want to do it for free, or worse yet pay them to service their lawn. I like the AF or may call it DD. A percentage would be nice, but there are so many variables that's hard to come up with too. Maybe since I'm playing with the numbers, I'll come up with a standard, with variables of course, I'll name it after me! But then again I'll be told it's already been done and named, just not shared.