Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Well I'm still battling a poor QOC with my 460. I tried a new set of flat, notched, high lift, Oregon Fusion blades with no better results. This is the forth blade type I've tried. We bumped up the RPMs and pitched the deck, even tried some add on baffles and I'm still getting tons of stragglers/stingers at any speed and even double cutting. It also does not lift grasses pressed down by the tires at all. This seems to be somewhat grass type specific. Mostly with the super fine fescues we have and worse in thinner areas. Seems like there is little vacuum or negative turbulence under the deck, almost like I've got some bailer twine around a spindle or two. Looking at the design of the underside I can't figure out why this is. Also if I run it at speeds I'm used to with my Hustlers it makes the problem worse. Damp grass will clump also and I believe it's from collecting on the rear flatter surface of the discharge opening. When cutting dryer grasses more of the clippings come out the front of the discharge chute.
I wish I had an answer to your problems. Maybe it is a KBG issue? Went don't have KGB here at all. All we have is tall fescue and this year we have a TON of crabgrass. Neither of my xfactor decks will lift the grass in the front tire marks up when it is wet out. Neither does our lazer.

Here is the kind of crap we are dealing with. Cut this this morning at 8am. Everything was super wet with dew and you can see the crabgrass all over the front yard. Cut it at 3 3/4" one pass. You can see there is no clumps and it is a fairly clean cut even with all the crap crabgrass. Oh GMLC I sharpened up a set of the stens blades this morning and threw them on the 460. This cut was with the stens solid foil blades. First time I have taken the OEM blades off the mower since I bought it.

This one is highly treated. Has a few spots where it was recently torn up.

My front yard looking across to a neighbors front yard where another crew cuts. Notice how the neighbors lawn is burnt up and mine is not.

About 4 or 5 days after cutting my lawn. Was goofing around with my car in this one.

A customers untreated trash lawn cut at 3 3/4

Another customer

My backyard

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PSC, looking good! I cut a ton of KBG with no problems. Something has got to be off with mtmower's deck? Sounds like a vacuum problem to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a fine fescue lawn I cut this morning. Its a little dry as fine fescue doesn't tolerate heat well but probably similar to what mtmower cuts. This is mowed at 4 inches.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to immediately take my mind off of mowers and grass, include an old muscle car in the pic!

I say "muscle car" even tho I know that camaro's weren't exactly known for being strong runners during those particular years, but somehow I think I know, that with this particular camaro, it's not that way anymore! Man, it sure looks good, what engine are you running in it? Got more pics of it?
Stan
PS. I had a '69 Z28 with the 302 in it for about 4 years in the 70's. Wish I had it now!
Sorry MT, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Muscle cars make me drool and then I forget what I'm doing!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
If you want to immediately take my mind off of mowers and grass, include an old muscle car in the pic!

I say "muscle car" even tho I know that camaro's weren't exactly known for being strong runners during those particular years, but somehow I think I know, that with this particular camaro, it's not that way anymore! Man, it sure looks good, what engine are you running in it? Got more pics of it?
Stan
PS. I had a '69 Z28 with the 302 in it for about 4 years in the 70's. Wish I had it now!
Sorry MT, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Muscle cars make me drool and then I forget what I'm doing!

I always seem to get a reaction when I throw a pic up with one of my cars in it. That car is so far from stock its not even funny. It has a 13:1 compression 383 stroker with a solid roller cam and Brodix Track 1 heads topped by a prosystems built 950 carb. Trans is a fully built with manual valvebody TH350 and has a custom built ATI 5000 stall 8" treemaster torque converter. The rear is a 12 bolt out of a 70 chevelle and has 33 spline moser axles, moser spool and moser pro series 4.56 gears. The car is mini tubbed and has S&W ladder bars and coil overs. Has an 8 point roll bar, kirkey aluminum seats and rci platinum harness.

Our 63 nova. Just did the roller cam, aluminum heads and blower this past winter.

Sneak peek at what we just picked up a few weeks ago.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I always seem to get a reaction when I throw a pic up with one of my cars in it. That car is so far from stock its not even funny. It has a 13:1 compression 383 stroker with a solid roller cam and Brodix Track 1 heads topped by a prosystems built 950 carb. Trans is a fully built with manual valvebody TH350 and has a custom built ATI 5000 stall 8" treemaster torque converter. The rear is a 12 bolt out of a 70 chevelle and has 33 spline moser axles, moser spool and moser pro series 4.56 gears. The car is mini tubbed and has S&W ladder bars and coil overs. Has an 8 point roll bar, kirkey aluminum seats and rci platinum harness.

yea yea yea, but how fast does it cut the grass?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
yea yea yea, but how fast does it cut the grass?
I need a cigarette.......... and then.....
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He must be cuttin grass a lot faster than me to be able to have not one but three of these lil' hotties. Nice rides PSC!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have been running my 452 for a couple months now and have say the I am not getting the crisp cut that I get on my exmark and Deere. Deck is pitched 1/8 forward. Blades are sharp and balanced. Leaves are falling here and I noticed with the vac on there are stray leaves left behind. The x factor just doesn't seem to have the vaccum my other mowers do. Just doesn't leave that crisp cut like my exmark. Open to any ideas that might help.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant9963 View Post
Well I have been running my 452 for a couple months now and have say the I am not getting the crisp cut that I get on my exmark and Deere. Deck is pitched 1/8 forward. Blades are sharp and balanced. Leaves are falling here and I noticed with the vac on there are stray leaves left behind. The x factor just doesn't seem to have the vaccum my other mowers do. Just doesn't leave that crisp cut like my exmark. Open to any ideas that might help.
With the vac on your having these problems? I have been picking up leaves for a couple weeks now and it picks up everything. Sounds like something is up with the bagging system. Are you getting the same QOC without the bagger on?
Posted via Mobile Device