Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want a great blade. Get the 3" Fusions that come from the factory on the new SuperZ's. What a blade!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
You got it. If the deck is absolutely perfectly level flat it will create the most vacuum and cut the cleanest.
As a par time cutter over most of the last decade+ I've had more time to play with these things than a lot of guys get a chance to do when they're running a full schedule. I've played around a ton with this stuff during that time and a little forwards pitch provides a better looking cut and much better looking stripes. Sometimes as little as 1/8" of change in pitch can make a HUGE difference in striping abilityy, so a little experimenting around with your own machine by starting at what the manu suggests, then going up or down from there, and you'll find the sweet spot. Like I said above, the manu's give a suggested pitch, but you have to find what works best for your lawns and machine/blade combo.

As far as having the deck flat giving the best vacuum- I disagree. If you take a shop vac and place the nozzle flat/tight over something, the vac motor starts really screaming to try to suck in any air. If you crack just one side up off that suurface, you get way more suction, and the motor works less to provide it.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll definitely be trying a different style blade.

Sounds like we have some contradicting ideas on pitch vs. vacuum. I was originally thinking like GMCL and the book. I don't follow his theory on the blade as an airplane wing changing vacuum due to the angle it's in. The angle of the blade creating lift is the cutting edge and rear lift wing of the blade not the angle it's rotating at. If you take a fan and lay it the floor it would blow up. If you tilt it at an angle it would blow at an angle. If you stand it up on it side it will blow side ways all due to the fan blades pitch not the angle it's rotating at. Now change the pitch of the blades by shorting them either direction or changing the angle they're bent at and this would change things. Angling it differently would only possibly increase or decrease the amount of air available to the suck side of the blades there by somewhat increasing or decreasing the flow. For example if you laid the fan on the floor blowing up the limited clearance between the fan and floor could cause a restriction/reduction of air available for the fan to pull in. On the other hand if you take a carpet vacuum and place the suction apparatus closer to the floor it has better lifting power. If you move the apparatus father away either straight up or tilting it you loose suction or lifting power but you may have more volume or air movement.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed mtnmower. I keep refering to deere because that's what i've run the most of(though I have run Toro and a few others over the years), and because I have a bunch of their manuals and literature here, as well as literature from other manu's. It seems odd to me that gravely is sorta flying in the face of what most other manu's recommend either online or in their literature/manuals for the best cut. Maybe the blades are slightly pitched in comparison to the deck top already, so having the deck nearly flat makes the blades pitched correctly?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im deffinatley not an expert. More thinking out lowd on the Gravely manual. I have always had front pitch on all my mowers(scags) but I have also never had a manual with a detailed side note like Gravely's. I hope Gravely Commercial chimes in! I did check my deck today and side to side is level and just a tad of front pitch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

PSC, do you know if they make the fusion blades that would fit my 52". Those sound like the exact blades I want!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is a link to a thread here recently about deck pitch. A guy posted some pics from one of his older Deere manuals. It helps expalin a lot of this stuff if you can zoom in on the print-

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=pitching+deck
Old 06-03-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok. I don't even want to get on here and admit this. I took it back in the shop and started from scratch on the deck pitch and found out between the cantilever adjusters, clockwise and counter clockwise turning of the bolts, my JD gauge working on a seesaw pivot, and just being plain dumb I had managed to pitch the deck backward. I had the rear at 3 5/8" and the front at 3.5"! 1/8 inch lower in the rear. So I kicked the dog a couple of times and corrected it setting the front at 3.5" and the rear at 3 3/8". Then... I pull out of the shop after putting everything away feeling better, looking forward to tomorrow to test it out (in the rain) and go to put the deck in transport position but no dice. Played around another hour and came to the same conclusion I've read about with guys running Exmarks and some other brands. You can't adjust the deck correctly and still achieve transport height lock. Backed it off till it will barely lock if I pop it up fast and must mash the peddle and forcibly pull the release loose to drop it. At this point everything is off by 1/8". With final settings for 3.5" with front at 3 1/8" and rear at barley 3.5". Not very impressed but I guess if it's the worst problem I find with the unit I can live with my cut being 1/8" off from the gauge. Oh and this is all done with an empty seat, half tanks of fuel, and all four sneakers at 12 psi.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Ok. I don't even want to get on here and admit this. I took it back in the shop and started from scratch on the deck pitch and found out between the cantilever adjusters, clockwise and counter clockwise turning of the bolts, my JD gauge working on a seesaw pivot, and just being plain dumb I had managed to pitch the deck backward. I had the rear at 3 5/8" and the front at 3.5"! 1/8 inch lower in the rear. I dunno if I'm tired, or you are, but that would be correctly pitched down towards the front, not the rear if I'm reading you right here.So I kicked the dog a couple of times and corrected it setting the front at 3.5" and the rear at 3 3/8 Now this would be backwards with the rear lower than the front if you are measuring up from the floorThen... I pull out of the shop after putting everything away feeling better, looking forward to tomorrow to test it out (in the rain) and go to put the deck in transport position but no dice. Played around another hour and came to the same conclusion I've read about with guys running Exmarks and some other brands. You can't adjust the deck correctly and still achieve transport height lock. I'd play with the linkage and see if I could get the dial HOC adjuster to correspond with the actual HOC,THEN adjust the pitch. that's what I always do first if it is off. Backed it off till it will barely lock if I pop it up fast and must mash the peddle and forcibly pull the release loose to drop it. At this point everything is off by 1/8". With final settings for 3.5" with front at 3 1/8" and rear at barley 3.5". Not very impressed but I guess if it's the worst problem I find with the unit I can live with my cut being 1/8" off from the gauge. Oh and this is all done with an empty seat, half tanks of fuel, and all four sneakers at 12 psi.
This is minor stuff if you are otherwise happy with the machine.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow someones up late! So far super happy. Only 8 hrs. on it. Dispersal is night and day compared to my XR7 Hustler SZ and the ride is amazing. Almost feel guilty that there is nothing to grease on it. It's on and off rain every day here for the last three weeks and calling for a chance of rain as far as one cans see, so this is frustrating. Anxious to cut with it tomorrow and see how the cut looks. Also going to try some fusion straight, notched, high lifts in the future and if they work better I'll swap permanently. This will allow the deck to be dialed in perfect due to the difference from the hump to the straight blades as well. Dropped the ROPs off last Sat. Once I get a chute blocker on it I'm set.