Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I cut this one first thing this morning with freshly sharpened OEM blades.

Is that KBG? Those stripes are more defined than I can achieve on my lawns. We have very little KBG here. Most of our grass is thicker bladed fescues which stripe but not nearly as defined as KBG. Looks like your machine is working very well for you!
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Is that KBG? Those stripes are more defined than I can achieve on my lawns. We have very little KBG here. Most of our grass is thicker bladed fescues which stripe but not nearly as defined as KBG. Looks like your machine is working very well for you!
That lawn is a mix of KBG and fine fescue. The sun was perfect this morning for that pic. I cant wait to get my stripe kit!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
mtmower call me crazy but in the side view pictures of your mower it "looks" like the deck is pitched back instead of forward. It might just be the pics or the fact the front of the deck skirt is raised compared to the back?
The skirt is shorter in the front than the rear. I haven't measured it but I believe it's about an inch difference
Old 06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that picture where you have your Super Z behind the Gravely...Your Gravely deck is lower in the back of the deck then the front. Both pictures show this. Maybe this is when it was setup wrong, but you can clearly see the front rake on the SuperZ, but clearly see a rear rake on the Gravely.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-12-2012, 03:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Yeah, that picture where you have your Super Z behind the Gravely...Your Gravely deck is lower in the back of the deck then the front. Both pictures show this. Maybe this is when it was setup wrong, but you can clearly see the front rake on the SuperZ, but clearly see a rear rake on the Gravely.
It looks that way but again it's due to the deck skirt. The rear of the deck is 5.5" tall the left front skirt is about 4.75" and the right front skirt near the discharge is closer to 4.5". According to my height gauge the rear blade tips were 1/8" higher than the front in that pic. I've since dropped the front of the blades another 1/8'. I may be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow to see what they can find.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your RPM's are set to 3750, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I looked again....in the picture with the discharge side pointing towards the camera, on the Gravely deck is VERY clear that it doesn't have the rake that the Hustler deck does.

I'm looking at the top plate of the decks across the top of the discharge opening.

1/8" is not enough. 1/4" to 3/8" is where you should probably be.

Also a factor is the rear flap striper. That could be combing the grass up and giving you the stringers. Try removing it.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Your RPM's are set to 3750, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
It hasn't been checked yet. Possibly will be taking it to the shop today. I don't own a mini tach as of yet. This is a concern since there only running 18000 rpm tip speed the way they're set up. Seems low compared to other mowers on the market.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I looked again....in the picture with the discharge side pointing towards the camera, on the Gravely deck is VERY clear that it doesn't have the rake that the Hustler deck does.

I'm looking at the top plate of the decks across the top of the discharge opening.

1/8" is not enough. 1/4" to 3/8" is where you should probably be.

Also a factor is the rear flap striper. That could be combing the grass up and giving you the stringers. Try removing it.
Yea, I see your point. It does look pitch lower in the rear. All I can tell you is my spiffy John Deere blade height gauge say otherwise. It would be so sweet if the deck can be corrected and the cut cleaned up. It blows my mind how much the surface that the mower is measured on can throw things off. After attempting to adjust it on my garage floor, I found it just to uneven due to tapper for a drain and just less than perfect floating when done. I took it to my neighbors who has about a 10 year old floor in his shop (much newer than mine) which looks super level and smooth to the eye, but even his floor changes enough to effect the reading from spot to spot. 1/8" is nothing.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I noticed something today. I used our 160 today because it is raining (thank god I dont have an exmark as my primary mower on days like this) and did not want to get the new machine all funky already. Anyway.... the xfactor deck on the 160 is different than the 460. They made changes to the deck but never changed the name or added something like X-Factor II. The left side edge of the deck on the 160 is straight front to back. On the 460 it arches out toward the back. Maybe it is the same under the deck not really sure yet because I have not had the new machine up in the air yet. Makes me wonder if that has anything to do with gmlc's mower not working well with the stens blades. I will have to throw a set on the 460 and see if the cut quality drops compared to the oem blades.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)