Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Are you talking about this picture?

This looks to be the older version. Is it really that long, or is this like a 48" deck or something? Seems like the picture is stretched?

Is the front baffle angled that abruptly directly behind the front anti-scalp wheels?
I believe this is the X Factor 1.0 version. The one on my 460 has the front baffle meeting the front skirt as you mentioned. This one does not show the bracing from the front baffle to the skirt or the bolt in baffle at the discharge. The bolt in baffle may just not be shown due to the mulch kit installed.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The deck is pretty long front to back. The X-Factor deck has (don't quote me i could be wrong) the most blade overlap of any deck in the industry.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I believe this is the X Factor 1.0 version. The one on my 460 has the front baffle meeting the front skirt as you mentioned. This one does not show the bracing from the front baffle to the skirt or the bolt in baffle at the discharge. The bolt in baffle may just not be shown due to the mulch kit installed.

Gravely says to remove the baffle at the discharge when the mulch kit is on. I always removed mine when mulching.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a comment on cut quality of the X-Factor: I've put 350 hrs on the 52" X-Factor on the 152, and have tried pretty much every blade arrangement. There is no comparison to the factory high lifts that come on the machines for my grass types in the south. I believe the part number for the 52" deck is 00450300. I found that the secret is the pitch of the blade. They actually angle down, or pitch down, from the center to the end of the blade. This puts the blade tip closer to the bottom of the deck and makes a huge difference in cut quality. I've used Oregons and Stens blades, and they are flat all the way across, and do not cut nearly as well as the factory blades. The factory high lifts also stay sharper longer than any blade I've tried. They have a very short cutting surface, but they cut much better than the oregons I've tried that have the elongated cutting surface. I have no idea how the deck performs in northern grasses but down here the cut is awesome with the factory high lifts.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINKY1902 View Post
Just a comment on cut quality of the X-Factor: I've put 350 hrs on the 52" X-Factor on the 152, and have tried pretty much every blade arrangement. There is no comparison to the factory high lifts that come on the machines for my grass types in the south. I believe the part number for the 52" deck is 00450300. I found that the secret is the pitch of the blade. They actually angle down, or pitch down, from the center to the end of the blade. This puts the blade tip closer to the bottom of the deck and makes a huge difference in cut quality. I've used Oregons and Stens blades, and they are flat all the way across, and do not cut nearly as well as the factory blades. The factory high lifts also stay sharper longer than any blade I've tried. They have a very short cutting surface, but they cut much better than the oregons I've tried that have the elongated cutting surface. I have no idea how the deck performs in northern grasses but down here the cut is awesome with the factory high lifts.
I ordered two sets of factory blades and agree 100 percent. I have also noticed the x-factor loves sharp blades. After two days of cutting I sharpen the blades and thats pushing it. With my scags I can go three days. I still feel the x-factor has the best dry cut and second best wet to the velocity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very weird the stens work great on the 60". All of my pictures have been cut with the stens blades. I agree the OEM stays sharp much longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wanted to let anyone know that has had anything but excellent QOC to check the engine rpms at WOT. Mine was at 3640 and we adjusted it to 3750 and I was pleased to see a nicer cut yet at even higher speeds.

I also have some G6 straight blade on the way to try out.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The g6 works ok but that is the one blade I did find that leaves a couple stragglers here and there. Nothing bad just a few scattered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I have found an Oregon Blade that is 20.5" long 3" wide high lift that cuts better than the factory high lifts due to the increased lift. With these higher lift blades I have noticed almost no straggle pieces left uncut. The discharge is improved, still not as good as a 7 Iorn in wet or taller grass. My deck is set at 1/4 of an inch lower in the front. The X factor does not have more overlap than any mower on the market, the overlap would be close to one inch, the same as a Dixie Chopper, Bad Boy, Exmark etc... any 60" with a 20.5" blade. I think that the discharge opening on the X Factor needs to be larger to get a little better clipping dispersal. I have removed and re-installed the little baffle on the discharge to see if it made any difference and it did not. I have noticed in taller and wet grass that there are two different discharge streams of clippings, the first is the grass that comes out of the front of the discharge and the second is what comes out of the rear of the discharge where the baffle is. I have noticed this is where the clumping happens only in wet or taller grass.
Shindawia 261x
07 Bobcat s250
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
This is where I get my oem parts from. Always gets drop shipped directly from ariens and I have it in 2 to 3 days with standard shipping.

http://www.arienspartsdirect.com/
ProStreet I need to thank you. I ordered my stripe kit and OEM blades and had them in two days! I have been waiting over three weeks for my dealer to get these parts! I dont know what he is doing over there but for now on its ariens parts direct for me!
Posted via Mobile Device