Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler engine not firing on all cylinders

I have an older ferris 3 wheel rider that all of a sudden has lost power. This is a kohler engine. Starts fine but no power to go up hills or when pto in engaged the engine dies. I have spark on both sides. When engine is running if I take off the left side plug wire the engine keeps running, when I take off the right side plug wire the engine dies. I'm thinking I have a problem with the left side coil wire. Does that sound right.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a good strong spark you most likely have a mechanical issue. You should do a compression and leakdown test.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Are both pistons moving?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplowcjc View Post
I have an older ferris 3 wheel rider that all of a sudden has lost power. This is a kohler engine. Starts fine but no power to go up hills or when pto in engaged the engine dies. I have spark on both sides. When engine is running if I take off the left side plug wire the engine keeps running, when I take off the right side plug wire the engine dies. I'm thinking I have a problem with the left side coil wire. Does that sound right.
From what you describe, it sure does look like your right side is good and your focus should be on the left side but before ordering the coil I'd pull the left side plug first, granted you probably still have to order a coil but just to see if it tells me anything I don't already know, you got little left to lose.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

rockers are moving, there is spark on the left side. Is there such thing as a weak coil. When the engine is running you can here sometimes 2 cylinders firing and sometimes one cylinder. Just has no power under a load.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
rockers are moving, there is spark on the left side. Is there such thing as a weak coil. When the engine is running you can here sometimes 2 cylinders firing and sometimes one cylinder. Just has no power under a load.
I had same issue week ago my problem was fuel blockage it act like a coil pack and pull the right plug wire off and would die Mine is a 26 efi and was blockage in the line that went to left side I dont know if this info will help you or not thought I would tell you Try to help out
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Yes there is such thing as a weak coil. You could swap the 2 coils and see if your symptoms move to the other cylinder. To do a compression check like I suggested earlier, you will need a compression tester (duh).. I'm not sure about this, but Autozone does have loaner tools, maybe they have a compression tester. A lot of the discount auto parts store have the same program... you pay for the tool, use it, then bring it back and get a refund.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chuck it off a cliff and yell "Yeah even with a bad cylinder you hit 90mph that time didn't ya!"
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question that begs to be answered...
What is the model and spec # of your engine................
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I will get that this weekend. I gave this mower to my dad and we are relaying the info back and forth.