Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Z710A Problem

Several times the gas cap has worked loose and I have found it hanging by its chain. Has anyone else had this problem and found a cure? I am afraid of getting dirt in the tank when this happens.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that happened on my mower once. i dunno if i got it hung on a limb or something but it popped all the way off and pulled the chain and everything out. it was sitting down by the motor when i stopped.

is it the kind of gas cap that clicks? mine you turn it until it clicks. i started grabbing it and holding the outer part of the gas cap with my hands and the inner part of the gas cap underneath with my fingertips to keep it from clicking. you can tighten it farther if you do it that way and it makes it tighter. mine hasn't come loose again since i started doing that.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of anyone (besides you) two having had that happen to them. Neither one of my JD's have done that yet. Hopefully they won't either.
I always turn mine several clicks past the first click. I dunno if that could make any difference or not. You guys prolly jinxed me now.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Mine is one that clicks so you can only tighten it so far. It is a bit annoying. I will mention it to my dealer and maybe I can try a new cap and see if it helps.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i always did mine several clicks too. but i started grabbing it and holding it together and tightening it down more. grabbing it keeps it from clicking. you can almost turn it another 1/4 of turn after the clicking starts if you do it this way. then it's on there good and tight. i even ordered one of those $10 replacement gas caps from john deere that don't click but they never seem to tighten up completely. they will get snug and then you keep turning they kindof get loose again. i don't know why they can't just make a gas cap that tightens down and stops when it's tight. my dad's husqvarna rz5424 does this and it's a residential ztr mower. i wish all gas caps were made like that one. huge opening, no epa garbage, no chain on the cap. just simple and works like it should.