Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

8 days to get that wall up? How many guys?

What concerns me most is that the entire backfill area is clean stone if I read right. I have had extensive discussions with my engineer about this very topic. Clean stone does not 'hold' grid, the way any materials with fines will. We NEVER backfill reinforced walls with all clean. We would put 12" of clean behind the wall and then fill the rest of the area with imported bank run. Yes it takes longer, but its a better install.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

5 days with two guys, 3 days with three. We don't mess around.

The 60 pages of engineering plans for this project, which are stamped, indicate a six foot set back of cleaned stone for drainage purposes. I confirmed this with EPHenry in this application and got the same feedback. Most of the dirt that was removed from excavation was junk fill which shouldn't be put back behind there. We were lucky the cut held while we built the wall, had we gotten a deluge of rain it may have been different story. We dug down until we hit virgin soil in the footer area.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
5 days with two guys, 3 days with three. We don't mess around.

The 60 pages of engineering plans for this project, which are stamped, indicate a six foot set back of cleaned stone for drainage purposes. I confirmed this with EPHenry in this application and got the same feedback. Most of the dirt that was removed from excavation was junk fill which shouldn't be put back behind there. We were lucky the cut held while we built the wall, had we gotten a deluge of rain it may have been different story. We dug down until we hit virgin soil in the footer area.
So the towns in your area require all the calculations also? In my area its haf and half. Half the towns will accept a side profile diagram with grid and ofcourse the stamp. The other half wants all 50-60 pages of calculations that I doubt ever get read.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

WOW a couple of years back I did a 7-10' high wall 800' long and didnt need anything for he city.
We did get the manufacturer involved for our piece of mind but the city didnt care
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior L & L View Post
WOW a couple of years back I did a 7-10' high wall 800' long and didnt need anything for he city.
We did get the manufacturer involved for our piece of mind but the city didnt care
Woahhh thats not right. I thought it was pretty standard to have everything engineered and inspected for anything over 4'. I would have it done anyways to deflect some liability.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends on the municipalities. I have found the closer you get to major cities/more dense poulated areas the more hurdles you have to jump through. The further we head west from Philly the less red tape we run into. It is coming, its just a matter of time. More rural areas aren't aware yet of what happens when a major SRW fails. With a higher density area, more SRW's are needed because less space is available, thus higher regulations. Its all relative.

We have done work in municipalities where we could do this type job with just a simple building permit, no inspections. They'd write you out a permit while you waited. Other places you have to jump over hurdles.

Bottom line is on a project of this scope, with that type of surcharge, regardless of what the township requires you should get a set of engineering plans done. If there are ever any questions you can roll out the plans and present photos.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-10-2008, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im looking at job that has a wall over 5ft and we are running into complications with the local block supplier wont certify their product so we are now waiting for them to find another block supplier such a headache
Old 10-11-2008, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is that wall suppose to be 1000 face feet?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is when its finished, there was around 700 up there. The final pics are on the crews camera, which haven't been downloaded yet. I will post them Monday when I get the camera from them.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are a few photos from the end of last week. We graded, seeded, and put a temporary fence up along the top to return later this year (or early spring) to finish out the project. It really extended the upper area for a neat outdoor living area.
Attached Images