Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2008, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

etwman-"It's really quite the simple solution folks, if you can't pay for it out of your checkbook you don't buy it."

he has said this before on here and the first time i read it i copied it and printed it out and its on my desk as a reminder everyday and it hasnt failed me yet
Old 10-18-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious.. why do you guys start a project and finish it up later on?
Haulmark 6x12 Enclosed trailer
Bri-Mar 6x12,7x14 Dump Trailers
18hp Billy Goat Leaf Loader
Classen 5.5 Honda Power Rake
Stihl FS100RX, FS110 Trimmers
Stihl HL100K, HS81T Hedge Trimmers
4 BR600 Blowers
Stihl 029 Chainsaw
Honda 3 HRC216HXA Mowers
5 HS520A Snowblowers, 1 hs928was
Old 10-18-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nov 24/07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
In '07 the 550 was added, along with the building and property. '08 will be another truck and several other pieces of equipment we are looking at purchasing.

How did this year pan out?
Old 10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Answers to Questions

There are a lot of good books out there on financial wisdom. There are good points and bad points to all. There is no perfect book, nor is there a perfect financial advisor. I agree a lot with Dave Ramsey, I believe in running a debt free company, and there are a lot of different view points on that. Iím not going to go into a never ending thread on whether debt is good, bad, healthy, unhealthy, beneficial or not beneficial. Do I believe you can run a debt free company? Absolutely. The Forbes 400 is a list of the richest 400 people in America as rated by Forbes Magazine. When surveyed, 75% of the Forbes 400 (rich people, not your broke brother in law with an opinion) said the best way to build wealth is to become and stay debt free. Walgreens, Cisco, Microsoft, and Harley-Davidson are all run debt free and so can your company.

The only one thing I will say is thereís no such thing as 0% financing, if there were no lending institutions would be in business, think about it. Next time you buy a piece of equipment or vehicle barter them down on financing, then pull out the checkbook, youíll be surprised at the savings.

Adam, yes we have moved in the direction of CAD and it is well received. We have pulled building permits on our design/display center on our property and construction will begin this fall. By next spring everything should be in place.

Why do we start projects and not finish them? Itís a rarity. Sometimes we revisit the design per the customerís request. The one on the previous page, where the large wall was, is taking another look at a deck/patio combination which should be neat. It was tough to visualize the entire area until the lower wall was built. Iím fine with that as we are most likely too busy to revisit it again this fall anyway.

In closing, we donít have the perfect company and itís not always a bowl of cherries. I donít sit in my hot tub and pop Bon Bonís all day long. While I appreciate the compliments, I share this information as a hopeful encouragement to those who have a strong desire to make things work. Nothing is ever handed to you, you have to decide where you want to go and work very hard for it.

PS Ė GO PENN STATE!
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

i like your equipment
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the debt-free business. It felt great to get out of debt. I bought a new mower last week and did finance it, because I'm waiting for cash from my used mower that is for sale. It was one of those opportunities that you don't get often.

This whole economy is structured on debt. Money is so highly inflated because of debt. Think about this. You purchase a mower, which is financed through some company. You mow for several customers, most of whom pay with a credit card, which is normally a debt tool instead of simply a convenience tool. You are paying off your debt with the debt of your customers. Debt just keeps getting shuffled around. When you deposit money in the bank, the bank lends out a large percentage of it. The borrower uses those funds, which are deposited into other banks. The money is then lent out again, deposited again, lent....it's an endless cycle. $100 can quickly become $1000 after lending and borrowing several times. But there is only $100 backing that $1000.

Can you see why only a few financial failures can cause havoc in the economy?

I'm going to pay off my new mower just as soon as I have the cash to do so. It's financed for 36 months, but the sooner I pay it off, the less interest I will pay. And I can assure you, I couldn't have gotten a better cash out-the-door deal. I could have also gotten a 0% plan, but it had a $400 doc/app fee, plus a pay-off penalty. Definitely not a good deal.

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarod,
How many employees do you have? I know you mentioned back in 05 or 06 that you had 5 full-timers and a few seasonal guys. Having the 2 FL-70's and the 550, how do you break up your guys into crews? How many jobs are you simultaneously working on usually? I've got a bunch more questions that I might assemble into an e-mail, but I just wanted a little insight into day-to-day operations.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

"PS Ė GO PENN STATE!"

who?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look who surfaced! Wow! We need to catch up, hope all is well Todd.

C'mon you hokie! Share a little love.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't say much......ECU was embarassing and the Boston College game wasn't much better.

International is out of the shop, just needs boxes. Work is slowing but I'm closing on a property that needs a lot of work so thats fine with me.