Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If all goes well, I am hoping to be in Va for the UVa and V.Tech game. We started off bad with that horrible loss to USC, but we have found our mojo and turned things around. Maybe we can tailgate or something if you are going to the game....I know you will be glad to get your truck back....what have you done in the mean time???? If work is slowing down for you then I might need to send you a plane ticket to come down my way because we have more then we can get done this year, especially since mother nature decided to put us on ice. I finally took the time out to resize some photos and post them in the same thread (Playing in the dirt) in the commercial landscape section I posted the before pics in. So far, my best work. But not the hi-jack Jarods thread, Jarod really has given many of us a model to follow. I do think there are times where you cant pull out the check book and scratch off a check and call it a day. But debt management and planning is key if you cant pay cash. Before I finance anything, I make sure I can pay it off if needed before we buy, but its just more cost effective to make payments for a few months then to payout on lump sum. Now that doesnt apply to small handheld equipment....Cash flow management has been key to my success this year....BTW Jarod, hope the snow didnt slow down productions.....I am hoping to make it through the end of Nov before we shut down all landscaping for the season.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our work load? We have been fully sold out for this year since beginning of October. My only hope is that we can push into January because we have three sizable projects in the drawing stages for spring. I don't recall having a fall this busy in many years. I have lines drawn in my schedule for Friday and Monday to help the guys in the field and I haven't been in the field in a looooonggg time. I got out of the field 5 years ago and didn't look back. This should be interesting, I'm going to be the greenie, I'll probably get yelled at. Helping others? Sure it would be fun but I have to get through my fall first.

Debt management, key marketing and advertising, pricing jobs right /efficiency and quality of work will get most companies through this tanked economy.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't know you weren't in the field etwman.

Congrats for not having to, but I just assumed you were a hands on guy out on the job every day.

What comprises your day then? If you don't mind.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Meetings with customers, architects, vendors, equipment purchases, etc. our average project proposal is 13 pages in length. I will assure you that these higher end project don't just come about in two weeks. From initial phone call from a potential customer to beginning of construction usually falls around 3 months. There's redraws, material selection, appliances for kitchens, structures, etc. The list is quite long.

I give my foreman complete control of their projects, and all decisions from a construction standpoint. There's a handful of projects I only see from photos when they are completed.

I stepped out of the field completely 5 years ago and rely on excellent guys in the field to build our projects.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Last edited by etwman; 10-29-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds great.

I know a few bigger (in my mind, not to your level or caliber though) hardscaping companies around my parts that the owners are the gophers. Driving for materials, supplies, driving machines around etc, but they are still on the job at some points during the day. In no way would his men be capable of what yours are in terms of decision making. (maybe they are, but the owners don't give them the power?)

So, your able to take vacations while your men work? Or not?
Perma-green Magnum
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I take that back, I was on the NY jobs some because they were so involved. Ironically the last two years we were up there we finished up in the first week in November. Last night they got 6 inches of snow and the high is 28 today. I guess you could say we rolled the dice right, picking the right two years.

I do miss the field at times but my time is better spent in the office and on logistics.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have taken weeks vacations several times and haven't had the need to call and talk to any of my guys in the field, knowing full well they have everything under control.

If you don't believe me you can ask them for yourself how much they hear from me when I'm gone.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's great! This is eventually my goal. My wife doesn't like waiting for a drought to go on vacation.
Perma-green Magnum
Solo since 1980
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The owner of a company getting out of the field full time is probably one of the top 3 biggest hurdles that you'll experience in owning a company. Empowering key leaders in the field, to do the same quality work that you would do, is a sizable risk. Face it, that company is your baby, relinquishing that responsibility is a huge move. The guys that will never do that, or can't bring themselves to do that, will approach a glass ceiling and that will be it. Or, they aren't charging what they should to pay someone full time to take over their field responsibilites.

You have to shift gears at some point, you can only reach so much speed in first gear. When you make that shift be prepared to not see a whole lot of profit right away. It'll take a year of hard core selling and management to get up to speed and rebound.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Jarod is right. You will never get anywhere if you are in the feild. And guess what, I am always in the feild. Its my biggest proablem. I almost feel like I am running in place.

I think PA must have a better work force then nj! The best masons and carpenters I know all live in PA.

Its so hard to wear every hat in a company and excel in each role.

Jarod posts some more pics.