Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually if you think about it a Coventry Plus Wall system allows you only to put grid pulls at 21" because its a panel system. Here we put it at 24". I suppose we could put it at 18" but I really don't think it will make any difference, you'll still have a ton of weight on top of it. We are going to drain the water behind the wall in a drainage network and eliminate drains in the wall. This is a really complex drainage project because the water is all coming down a slope towards the pool so we ended up putting in a fairly detailed drainage network with traps in many places to keep water from dumping into the pool.

No time for a fleet pic in 2008.

Houses in that development are about 4-5 years old, start at $500k
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Actually you really don't even need the grid to be fully honest in this application according to most manufacturers. We're just putting it in as a precautionary measure. The wall is only 2 1/2 feet high. We'll backfill the wall with clean stone up to the grid level. Pull it out and stone the rest in with modified. The above patio is down to subgrade. We'll be buring the grid under 8" of modified stone. That'll be plenty for that small wall.
Ok, that was my second thought. I usually only use UniLock Pisa/Roman Pisa so I don't use different sizes like I see there. It doesn' hurt to have grid for a 2 1/2' wall.

$500??!?!?! Thats a cool $2 million in my area, if you can even find a lot that big!

P.S. You guys did the tile/bullnose/hot tub work?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man you have come a long ways! Great work! Keep it up!

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Attached are several pics of our third major build that's going on. Right now we have three going on all at the same time and have doubled our employees. We've welcomed some very skilled employees to our staff and are extremely excited about what the next year holds. I need to fiqure out someway of naming each of the ones under construction to reduce project confusion amongt the readers. I'll work on that later.

Someone inquired a couple pages back about me being out of the field and hands off. To show you how much I trust my guys, I have three major builds going on, all of which are over 6 digits, and I'm getting on a plane tomorrow morning to the Carribbean. Its actually more business than pleasure, working with Hope International and startup small business owners in third world countries. Neat organization, google it.

I'll post more upon returning. Find good employees, empower them, treat them well and don't micromanage.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Find good employees, empower them, treat them well and don't micromanage.
Less than 10mins ago I read that in a book called "How to get Rich" by Felix Dennis. Its basically a book about how he made a $750M fortune and what he thinks are most important to get there. I just finished chapter 13, The Joys of Delegation. Those words above could possibly be some of the most powerful in business
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jarod,

Do you think in your experience its a better strategy to focus exclusively on one aspect of the business (for you, it looks like hardscaping), or do you think it is just as easy to establish a maintenance and install divisions at the same time?

Do your guys still do maintenance?

Another question, if I may. What's your best advice to getting out of the field. Personally, I just started my business 8 months ago and it has done great. I'm anxious to see what '09 holds.... my marketing is light years ahead of where it was this point last year. Long story short, I want to get out of the field asap and start making larger moves (GROW, GROW, GROW!). You can't get rich on your own labor (You know this, obviously). What's your take?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Jarod,

Do you think in your experience its a better strategy to focus exclusively on one aspect of the business (for you, it looks like hardscaping), or do you think it is just as easy to establish a maintenance and install divisions at the same time?

Do your guys still do maintenance?

Another question, if I may. What's your best advice to getting out of the field. Personally, I just started my business 8 months ago and it has done great. I'm anxious to see what '09 holds.... my marketing is light years ahead of where it was this point last year. Long story short, I want to get out of the field asap and start making larger moves (GROW, GROW, GROW!). You can't get rich on your own labor (You know this, obviously). What's your take?
Its going to take some time to get out of the field. I hope youre not expecting it in your first couple years...

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Its going to take some time to get out of the field. I hope youre not expecting it in your first couple years...
I'm not expecting it to happen, but working relentlessly towards the goal!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, and this is just my take, it'll take 4-5 years of good steady growth before your out of the field on a a brand new start up company unless your very aggressive. Best advise, price jobs correctly. You price them too low, you'll never be able to hire the right individuals to get yourself out of the field and enable the company to grow correctly. You hit a glass ceiling and stop there.

I posted a couple threads exclusively on the topic of how many divisions is good and how many isn't. Once again, just my opinion. Its a ways back in this forum but its there, you'll have to dig for it some. There's a happy medium in good growth, too much or too little will kill you.

Our focus is on high end landscape and hardscape, that's pretty much it. The marketing moves we made this year, which I hold close to me, have paid off and this is the direction we're going.

Gotta plane to catch....
Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're building houses now? Don't know how you have time to post on here. When we get busy (and I'm a speck by comparison) I never have time to post on here. Also how do you easily find good employees? I pass on many hardscape jobs, not because I don't know how, but because I can't find employees who understand the difference of doing something to get it done and doing something special.

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."