Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man things have changed in 6 years! I just spent a good 2 hours reading the last 1/2 of this thread.

We both joined this site about the same time, and I remember taking alot of your advice into consideration when I was starting to grow my business. We've gone two completely different directions, you going into major landscape/hardscape and my company going 70% mowing with a client base of well over 1400 weekly accounts.

Congratulations on your continued success, you're top class in my book.
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Steve, i remember you from back in the day. good to see you are still around.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
Steve, i remember you from back in the day. good to see you are still around.
yep, still here.. It's amazing how many new people I see on here each year, and how many I've seen for years, that suddenly disappear. I suppose its the nature of the business.
www.qualitylawncare.biz
Serving Western New York since 1998.

"Everyone has bad breaks but everyone also has opportunities. I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it..." -Samuel Goldwyn
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I returned for the Dominican Republic after experiencing a great time with people from Hope International. I get approached a fair amount from non-profit organizations, but I tell you what this is the most impressive by far. Iím not going to write a book here but this is what HOPE does in laymanís terms. They extend low interest loans to people in poverty stricken areas to start their own small businesses, or otherwise known as micro financing. Most loans are simple $100 loans with a very low interest rate. These people must present a business plan to Hope staff in order to qualify for their loan. In addition, they received counseling and support from their community. When you go into a ravished, poverty stricken area and see someone that has a small grocery store in a shed with the help of HOPE itís a very humbling experience. These people have learned to become self sufficient on their own and provide for their families. HOPE has 14,000 non-collateral loans out in the DR alone, with a repayment rate of 99%. Bottom line is you can give a man a fish and heíll eat for a day, teach him to fish and heíll eat for a lifetime. The very small interest goes to provide health care for them and a savings account and as soon as the loan payments are made the monies are redistributed. All of HOPEís staff is paid for by the board of directors. HOPE is in 14 countries worldwide and expanding rapidly. I was asked by the president of HOPE to take a team of 8-10 small business owners down there in 2010 to experience this incredible experience firsthand. I eagerly await this opportunity as well as a possible future trip to Congo in South Africa.

We are moving along with the projects. A 3,000 sf Paver driveway to go in this week for the house that had 2,600 sf go in the back with the pool and kitchen. Iíll post pictures this week. After much research, plant tours, and close inspection weíve made a decision to move to another hardscape manufacturer for paver and wall products because of QC issues. This manufacturer is very very impressive, bold colors, and exact tolerancesÖ.they are what I would say to be the next ďdark horseĒ in becoming a leader in the hardscape production industry. This driveway will consist of this new concrete product. After itís in Iíll post some pics and reveal the manufacturer.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds awesome, my friends dad went to DR to teach entrepreneurship partnered with ScotiaBank Canada.

Any ETA on that new project and manufacturer reveal?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jared looks like you are going to have a real nice project there. How do you feel about the upcoming year and season with the down economy? I am very concerned with our installations and even our maintenance I had 2 of our high end customers get their homes repoed this winter. What are you planing on doing this year to keep up with your yearly projected growth numbers?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you plow?

any new equipment pictures
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How are you able to continue to do patios with frozen temps? It is supposed to be below freezing or barely above all week here, I've had to postpone 2 patios and 1 wall until next spring. If you have some tips that can help us get some more jobs completed let me know. We push snow as well so its not as if we go completely cold turkey.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Answers to Questions

In order.

1. As soon as the weather cooperates we'll install a driveway with the new paver and I'll post some pictures and let you be the judge.

2. The economy (and this can obviously all change so its better to be proactive than reactive) has not affected us that much, at least not now with the marketing we've done. We may have had one customer shift this year with us. Our higher end clients are usually fairly stable with the swing of things and we are into a fairly niche market. We are offically sold through beginning of June 2009 at this point, experiencing a record backlog headed into 2009, bucking the trend according to all our vendors. My biggest challenge right now is figuring out how many guys to hire and stay efficient. I don't want to be top heavy and its difficult at this stage of the game to predict what late next summer will bring. Worse thing you can do is load up too heavy with guys in the spring, then be in a jam in August figuiring out to do with everyone when the spring chaos is over. We've hired three more in just the last month so we are pretty well staffed headed into 2009. The plans that are in the drawing stages at this point, for next summer, do not have deposits on yet but I feel pretty strong they'll come in.

3. We only plow two commercial lots side by side (our accountant and our insurance company). I don't look for too much plowing, my guys aren't overly excited about it, nor am I. What we do we do well. We'd all rather be hardscaping.

4. How are we able to push on with work? Well right now you might as well drop back and punt. If you don't have track machines right now you might as well pack it in fully. We use heat blankets on our bases to keep them from freezing, leave our bedding sands on our trucks (which are parked inside a heated building at night), and make the most out of the few good days we have. We have a driveway we'd really like to excavate out and get in yet this year but I would like a 7 day window before I pull the trigger. You don't really want a good customer to not have access to their driveway all winter long. We'll do what we can to take the load off the spring work.

We're finally in our new offices in our building, setting up a new computer system is an absolute thorn in my side.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-17-2008, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are those the knotty pine beaded board offices I remembr you mentioning in 05 or 06? Are there plans for another truck or will the SNG trucks handle another crew without needing a truck?