Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have enough trucks/equipment to run next spring with three crews. However multiple trucks are needed for several project so some decisions will have to be made soon.

I'll post some pics of the offices some day when I have a camera here.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
We have enough trucks/equipment to run next spring with three crews. However multiple trucks are needed for several project so some decisions will have to be made soon.

I'll post some pics of the offices some day when I have a camera here.
Sweet deal man. It still blows my mind the unique niche you've carved in the industry and the efficiency you have in a business plagued with BS and "dumb labor".

If I remember correctly, you have 3 LA's that you use right? Do most of your clients give you a general idea of what they want then give you a budget and set you free?
Old 12-17-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We'll chose one of the architects depending on which one I feel is best for the application.

We have an entire 30 page workbook that was just revised that takes our customers from inital meeting to completion. There are things in there that help them develop a budget if they have no idea on one. Only about 40% of our customers have a budget that I know of.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought EP Henry was supposed to be the best paver out there??
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertPro View Post
I thought EP Henry was supposed to be the best paver out there??

LOL - I been tellin ETWMan for a year now to can EP Henry!

I think at one time EP may have been a good paver. After a while a company becomes bigger and bigger and before long quality gets lost to mass production.

Honestly, is one really better then the other??

We have been rekindeling an estranged relationship with Belgard. So far so good, no complaints.

We use 3 brands. Techo, Belgard, and Nicolock. We don't use a lot of Nicolock, but I love Nicolock. I LOVE Nicolock because their non-tumbled Colonial wall block is $9 / SF! And it looks nearly identical to Mini-Creta and Celtik wall, which those are in the $14 - $15 price range!

CertPro, you're a new name here, how bout you - why not start a new thread and introduce yourself? Tell us about yourself, your company, location, what brand of pavers do you fancy, and did you go to Staples yesterday and get the free copy of QB Pro 2009 that they had on special??

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

This thread and Company as grown and evolved into a great information source for some of the younger guys on this board and I would like to say thanks for everything you have shared with us!

I have a question about site visits. When dealing with high end clients, which it seems you do 100% of the time, do you try to make it to each site daily if possible, or are the crew leaders trained and knowledgeable enough to deal with any questions or non-contract breaking changes that the customer inquires about?

Also, once an agreement has been made and a contract written up, what changes, if any, are allowed to be made by the principal so to not mess with your scheduled work?

I hope I have made myself clear with the questions I have asked. Thanks again!!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

CertPro, you're a new name here, how bout you - why not start a new thread and introduce yourself? Tell us about yourself, your company, location, what brand of pavers do you fancy, and did you go to Staples yesterday and get the free copy of QB Pro 2009 that they had on special??
Not much to tell here. My name is Edward, I'm from SE PA. I'm a one man band with the occasional help from my brother in law. I'm big on education and learning to do things the right way. I do tons of research on these boards, but recently started to post. I have used EP a few times with little issue, but I'm not married to any one paver maker. I install whatever the customer wants. And no, I didn'r even know about the QB special.
Sorry to hijack ETWman!!!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Answer to questions

1. Do I make it to each site every day? Are you being serious here? No, I'm lucky if I make it to each project once a week if that. I'd say 35% of our projects I never see onsite, only by progress photos. Our foreman can run any project I throw at them and can easily advise customers on any concern or question they have. If there is an upcharge, or add on, they'll call me with materials and exact hours neccessary to build it and I'll draw up a change order. We don't hire average foreman. You have to have the best of the best when dealing with high end projects.

2. After we start most of our projects there are add ons. Its inevitable. The key is to antipate them and forsee them. Often times we'll know in the back of our minds that the customer will do it, even though they may not think so at the onset of the project. Allowing this time buffer is critical in scheduling. I'm not sure if this answers the question or not, it really wasn't that clear.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the driveway we are holding on with the new paver product. Sit and wait....wait and sit. We'll need 6 days from start to complete finish. As soon as we have the window we're moving on it. The back hardscape is completely done with the exception of the kitchen which we are doing all in house. Veneer and tile are picked. Appliances are all in.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2008, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
1. Do I make it to each site every day? Are you being serious here? No, I'm lucky if I make it to each project once a week if that. I'd say 35% of our projects I never see onsite, only by progress photos. Our foreman can run any project I throw at them and can easily advise customers on any concern or question they have. If there is an upcharge, or add on, they'll call me with materials and exact hours neccessary to build it and I'll draw up a change order. We don't hire average foreman. You have to have the best of the best when dealing with high end projects.

In that case, what are you doing all day? How many projects do you have going at any given time?

You always talk about having the best of the best for employees, how do you go about finding these people and attracting them to you (aside from paying big $$)?

Thanks