Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg244888 View Post
etw if you could round up in like a handfull of words what it takes to be successfull what would they be?
Here's a few:

Persistance, Empowerment, Honesty/Integrity, Patience, Efficiency, and Quality.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Empowerment is very important. If your guys don't want to do the work, and do it well, beyond the motivation of paying their bills, you'll never reach an elite level. Employees want to do it for the gratification and for the better of the company. They have to love (or at least like) where they work and who they work for.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

etwman just finished reading through the entire thread,wanted to say u got a great buiness and keep up the good work
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fool32696 View Post
Can you post in the Business Management Section? I'd like to respond, but don't want to take this thread off topic.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...72#post2733872

Ya I don't want to interrupt his thread either. I posted it up for ya in the BM threads. ETW if you have any recommendations on the employee dilemma that would be great too. Thanks

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So did you kill yourself yet jarod from that nice little snow storm we got? That was an insane storm!
Adam
Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All my life I've never witnessed anything like it. 4 mile swath wide 10 miles long that dumped 14" of snow in four hours on our site. Nothing anywhere else, wasn't even forecasted. Drive towards Lancaster on dry roads then all of a sudden there's a wall of snow on either side of the highway. We didn't get a flake at the office.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i was at a buddies house watching a hockey game, left his house to 2-3 inches, got home to nothing, which is about 10-15 minutes north. Where you up at least? I'd hate to wake up at 6 to find out you have 5 hours of plowing to do and the building opens at 8.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my guys, who is in charge of the only two sites we do snow removal on went out to salt and called me at 3:30 and said "we are going to need everyone out here ASAP" We had them cleaned by 7 a.m. but it took all we had with 5 guys, trucks, loaders, etc. to make it happen. That's why our customers love us and we don't do anything else. First time I pushed snow in a long time.

I'm sure there are guys that woke up this morning at 6 a.m. in this area and peed their pants.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
One of my guys, who is in charge of the only two sites we do snow removal on went out to salt and called me at 3:30 and said "we are going to need everyone out here ASAP" We had them cleaned by 7 a.m. but it took all we had with 5 guys, trucks, loaders, etc. to make it happen. That's why our customers love us and we don't do anything else. First time I pushed snow in a long time.

I'm sure there are guys that woke up this morning at 6 a.m. in this area and peed their pants.
WOW thats nuts. Were any of the landscape sites snowed over?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ironically as it may be that squall line split our three construction sites we have opened up and missed alll of them. With the mild weather coming in this weekend I'm pretty sure we'll put in a driveway early next week. Had that dumped on our sites we'd be down for a week or more.