Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2005, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Member

ETWMAN,

I would like to know how the dump has worked out for you since you have had an opportunity to use it for several months.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ETW Man, nice rig. I see that the truck is a 2001 so I am assuming it was used. The reason I ask is that 37,000 seems like an incredible price for that truck with the tool box and 3 bodies, plus it has the CAT Diesel. So, if it is used, how many miles were on it. Actually, how much do you have tied up in that Tool BOX, and 3 beds? We bought a new GMC 6500 with a 16' dump and Cat Diesel for 42,000. Your truck would be perfect, like you said, drop a container off and come get it when its full instead of tying a truck up.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony -

We bought the cab and chassis for $16,900 and it had 129,000 miles on it. There are 1000's out there off of Penske lease available everywhere. We did a ton of research and it just didn't prove to buy new. It looks new, runs like it's new, truthfully you'd never really know. These trucks run for 500,000 miles and we haven't had a single problem with it plus we'll only put 12,000 miles a year on it. The tool box was around $3,000 custom built buy a local guy. Our newest truck is about to hit the road in about a month. It's a 2000 FL-70 with 117,000 on it. This one will have an alluminum tool box instead of the steel one. Plus it'll be 33,000GVW instead of the 26,000 of the truck that was posted. We bought this truck for even less because it requires a CDL but most of our guy already have that so we fugured we can push our payload from 11,000 lbs to 18,000 with less out of pocket. Plus we won't have to buy bodies either since we already have four of them. This truck set up was the best system we've ever put together. Our other dump trucks are pretty much obsolete and just sit. All of our guys say "why in the world would you ever buy a dump truck that had a permanent attached body to it." We basically have four trucks for the price of two. We'll never go back....

Hope this helps some. You can check out the whole system at www.bucksfab.com. These are the guys that put the systems toghether. Click on Swith-N-Go.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Last edited by etwman; 01-09-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here' a couple more pics
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-09-2005, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one more with a different body on it. It takes a little over 2 minutes to switch the bodies out.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hey etwman.....pics look great. per our discussion a few posts back, we did decide to go an alternate way instead of hooklift. the cost to outfit one is ridiculous. looks like we are probably going with a 10 wheeler full size roll-0ff peterbuilt. pics to come in the near future.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ditch mowing machine
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

ETWLawn
Glad to see you posting...I think you have a lot to offer the forum. Awesome truck!!! you guys have your @#&* together! I like your take on the rolloff truck...really good idea.
bd
Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

etwman- Do you have any snow removal pics?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

etwman

etwman,

Sorry about the following book but, I need to tell you. Thanks for reading in advance and any help is greatly appreciated!

You're my Idol!

I'm a part-timer wondering about commercial bidding for the future. When I go full-time I would like to have some commercial/ industrial accounts. How would you suggest going about bidding and pricing these kind of accounts. I know I could just look under search to find some advise, but I've been mowing longer than you have and you just seem to be very successful! I do advertize in the local YP, but all I seem to get is calls form people who cannot afford lawn care.(and I know how to price, and I'm not as expensive as most in my area) I do get refferals but, more of the same kinds of properties. PITA's!

Example: 1 acre lot with house, fence around back yard & driveway w/parking pad. It takes a little over an hour to mow, trim & blow w/60" mower. Just myself. Another 10 minutes to get there from closest job. An easy $55 job right? Try $35! "Oh we can't afford $55 to have our yard mowed. All is we want is our grass mowed. We'll have to do it our selves- see ya! So I leave and a week goes by. Sure enough they mow it them selves, I saw them on a Sat. 3 weeks go by- same thing. Finally I stop and ask them how much they would pay? They said we can afford $25. I said there is no way. I can do it for $35 just till the end of the season. I need the work. They said $35 is still more than they can afford, but they would try it for a month. Well, a month goes by and sure enough they have troble paying. I can clearly see that they just were'nt jewing me down. They said "Sorry we can't afford to do this we should have never called. We don't want to, but we're going to have to do it ourselves. Thanks for what you did do though, you did a good job." This is the case with people all the time. Where's their money? It's in their $250,000 home. If they can afford a home like this, than an extra $1500 a year to keep their nice home looking good by a pro should not break them. Right? What Am I missing?

There is a good market in York & Adams Co. where I am, (I think) but how do I target the right customers? There's guy's around here makin big $$$$$$. Obviously there is something wrong. Honestly, I can't figure it out. I do above and beyond what I see others doing. Quality. and quality does take more time. Except for my red Ford Ranger and my equipment, which isn't a real bad looking setup, Do you have any suggestions? I'm at the end of my rope and the guys around here won't tell me anything!!

Thank you for your advise on previous posts. That has helped me too. Beautiful pieces you have- etwman!