Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

black mulch? you lost me there
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to turn this into anything else, but where can I get some good info on tavertine? I have been thinking about using it for my walk at home. Just not sure how well it will hold up in the country being abused daily and cold weather ie salt residue and freeze thaw. Thanks and as always ETW you and your work are the standard for excellence.

Details make money!
Old 05-09-2009, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is brown mulch, I know it looks like black, but trust me its brown.

Travertine is a natural product. Most natural products hold up to the test of time since they've been around forever. I'd google travertine dealers, its all over the place.

Quote of the week: "When the economical tide goes out you discover real quick who was skinny dipping and who wasn't"
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of good shots of Bent Creek that were taken for publications. This was the job we did late last summer.

The new truck is moving along very rapidly. I would anticipate it to be on the road within the next two weeks completely done. Box is mounted behind the cab, lettered tomorrow, and fabrication will begin Monday. This one is going together quick, mainly because it has too. We're putting another big bay door in our shop for it, which should be done next week.

Other projects are moving along well. No new pics, but will get some next week.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwalklandscaping View Post
bad economy would theoretically run the price down, not up
Not necessarily. When the government prints money out of thin air (like they are doing to finance all these bailouts and stimulus crap), it devalues the currency. Hence, everything costs more (Inflation).

Don't be surprised if bread is $10 a loaf next year. I can almost guarantee that the US is in for a hyperinflationary depression, which is when the prices spiral out of control and the cost of living is so great that no one can afford.... hardly anything. People will be wiping thier ass with $20 bills because they won't be worth a damn. After all, it is JUST paper money... backed by absolutely nothing.

My best advice is to buy buy buy. Buy tools, equipment, and gold as well as hygeine and food products because STUFF will be worth a lot more than useless greenback paper. Its useless to save money in this situation. By saving it, you are just losing your buying power with every passing day.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would agree with this to some extent. I don't want this to all turn into a political "what's right, what's wrong" thread but I do believe the government should stay out of it. It will correct itself in time, it has for the past who knows how many recessions. Bailing people out won't teach them anything, other than to become reliable on a government next time around. People who got greedy need to learn some tough lessons.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
It is brown mulch, I know it looks like black, but trust me its brown.

Travertine is a natural product. Most natural products hold up to the test of time since they've been around forever. I'd google travertine dealers, its all over the place.

Quote of the week: "When the economical tide goes out you discover real quick who was skinny dipping and who wasn't"
Nice take on a good line from Warren Buffet. "You never know who's swimming naked 'til the tide goes out."
Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I do believe the government should stay out of it.
- Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
Not necessarily. When the government prints money out of thin air (like they are...
-I'm a finance & economics major from college... I know what inflation is.. I was just refering to the fact that bad economies = people out of work = more people looking for side work = more low estimates and so on... None of my suppliers have raised prices, and niether have I. Also we have not been experiencing inflation recently.. do to the jobless levels.. inflation has dropped to near zero last time I looked, and there is no evidence of stagflation yet. Other than that I will keep my mouth shut as ETW said its not a political thread

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 05-14-2009, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ETW,

I was wondering if you could point out a good way to deal with cutting a fairly sharp curve on bluestone (patio bluestone). I havn't had to cut any curves too aweful sharp in the past, but an upcoming job has a fairly sharp curve in one area. I have a husky/partner 12/14 inch cutoff saw, and a 7 1/4 diamond saw. When doing a sharp curve do you make several cuts or how exactly do you go about it? Thanks for the help.. pic below from google search of a bluestone curve like what I have to deal with. - Schuyler

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My guess is that bluestone was precut from a manufacturer off of a template, then flamed. I've seen very similar things done out of travertine. You give them radius measurements of what you need and they'll custom cut it and flame the outside edges. Ask them, I'm sure if they are a big enough bluestone dealer they'll have a connection.