Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How many miles did you have on the truck? Was it the 26K or the 33K? I bet it sounded ear shattering when it was going out.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It was the original freightliner. 26k gvw. Had around 185,000 on it. That's fairly low miles for these CAT's. It went down hill quick and made some good noise. I thought I could baby it and drive it to the CAT dealer 10 miles away but no such luck. Not sure why it went but it doesn't really matter now. The replacement engine has around 130k on it.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Were you personally driving the truck at the time?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the pleasure. We had an inkling this morning at the shop at 7 a.m. that this thing was detiorating so I let my guys take my pickup for the day and I had the pleasure of getting the "limp gazelle" to the mechanic. Unfortunately it only got me a mile until it gave up the ghost and we had it towed the rest of the way.

One thing I can't stand is down equipment. If something goes down I'll have it back up pretty quick. The CAT dealer said "ohhh we'll do some research and find you a used engine, we'll know something by the next day or so." By 1 p.m. my patience had run out and I found one by 3 p.m. Down equipment makes you no money.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this the first problem you've had with the cat engines? I'm looking into getting a 26k truck and looking at cat and dt466. Basically international and freightliner, i've heard good things about both. Do you have an in house mechanic to keep up on maintenance or is that done by dealers?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancutccl View Post
Is this the first problem you've had with the cat engines? I'm looking into getting a 26k truck and looking at cat and dt466. Basically international and freightliner, i've heard good things about both. Do you have an in house mechanic to keep up on maintenance or is that done by dealers?
If you go International hold out and find a higher horsepower. I've got a 215hp, there's a lot of 190's out there............and 215 isn't the limit.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would second Todd, if you can go higher than 210 go for it. Our new one is 250+. Huge difference.

Its our first major mechanical failure with a CAT. There's no perfect engine. If this were the 3rd or 4th dead cat I'd get pretty cautious.

Here's the shots from today. Cabinetry is all in and will be pointed next week. Custom cabinetry is the only way to go, forget that online junk. 48" Firemagic grill is in. Charcoal grill beside it, fridge, etc. All travertine is down and cut in but needs acid washed and sealed. Plantings and grading begin Monday. Putting green the following week. The pace will pick up now. Things are really coming together.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

awesome work jarod
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow jarod your crew has really brought this from a mess to marvel nice job as always
Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hahaha I love the farm silos in the backround lol