Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just curious but how close to what you guessed this job would take in terms of materials and time did you come.. off by 1% .. 10% .. 100% ?

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're pretty close on this one. We figured Memorial Day Weekend would have been a push from the beginning so we anticipated around the 2nd week in June. Throw the curveball into that of 15 days of rain in May and we're probably right on schedule. We'll have it buttoned up by the last weekend in June. All plant material are already on site.

Our other project with the outdoor kitchen and pool picutred below will be on the front cover of a PA Magazine in July. These prelim pics were taken about two months ago when nothing had greened/leafed in. It will be professionally shot and staged here next week.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-30-2009, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

etw: Great work as always!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwalklandscaping View Post
just curious but how close to what you guessed this job would take in terms of materials and time did you come.. off by 1% .. 10% .. 100% ?
Sorry I went back and reread this. I would say on the hardscape aspect we'll probably hit it within 5% on labor estimates and less than 2% on material estimates. I can live with that. I think this is what you were asking.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-30-2009, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Sorry I went back and reread this. I would say on the hardscape aspect we'll probably hit it within 5% on labor estimates and less than 2% on material estimates. I can live with that. I think this is what you were asking.
Do you find it easier to estimate for these large jobs over smaller jobs?

How many jobs of this scale can your company finish in a year?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Smaller jobs are always easier to estimate in my opinion. I had to quote a smaller one for us "2-3 week project" and I did it in about an hour. These bigger projects take a tremendous amount of homework, you have to know your vendors, equipment availability, and the talents of your guys. You have to know what the customer expects because you are going to have a relationship with them that will last a long time.

We'll do 4 large projects this year. With our added equipment and employees we could probably handle 6-7 large builds in a year without making substantial additions in house, or putting me in the nuthouse.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you do the fence in house or do you have a sub for that work. If you do it in house any tips! Also what is the color of that tavertine. Thanks I just drool at these pics. you post.

Details make money!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The fencing is usually taken care of by the pool company or we have a contact. We did do the large rod iron gates in project A and had them custom powder coated to match a variety of things on site like drain covers, fencing, etc.

The travertine has an orange/brown blend with some cream in it. Every travertine supplier calls it a different name but most have this blend. I know one supplier calls it an apricot yellow.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lot of friends that always say PA is one of the most beautiful places to live....and now I know why. With the quailty of work you are doing, I to would claim my state is the most beautiful. Great work. Do you do your own design work? I love the way that pool is shaping up. Enjoy the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Tentatively speaking, kinda... I think... And maybe, thou I sure hope so, sure would be nice.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's amazing that you do the labor estimates so close. I am good with material estimates 5% give or take also, but I'm lousy at figuring out hours ... and my jobs are 10% the size of yours.. Getting better though

"Democracy is not a choice between good and bad, but between bad and worse."