Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I will assure you it wasn't always that way. Alot of it comes with experience, knowing your equipment and employees. In addition a good estimating program.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using software you designed or someone else. I'm looking at the Vanderkooi software, we use the MORS system of recovery and the software is based off of that. I'm basically looking for software that I can plug in daily production reports so I have up to the minute production hours for certain types of work (pavers, mulch, base install, etc.) Then just plug in how many hours, tons, sq ft, etc and done. Right now it is all paper and takes forever.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We're using a program I designed in house.

Here's #5. I have a few more things to be done to it and it should head out to a new job on Tuesday. The air ride is a dream. Rides almost as good as my GMC. The truck is almost identical to #4, only more HP, air ride, and 9 speed. Other than that the only way you can tell them apart from the outside is the visor on the new one is different.

All the trucks fit inside the building but it'll be cramped quarters until the new bay door goes in Tuesday.

NO MORE RAIN!!!!
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jared looks real nice I see you got the air hook ups for the trailer as well. How much do you have in this truck from start to finish?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned... but I really like your sign out front. Many times the sign is an afterthought, but you guys clearly put some thought into that. Good luck with the new truck!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a good looking truck, just like all the other stuff in this thread. Do your other trucks have aluminum wheels or chrome simulators?

www.tomberlawn.com
Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have told me 9 months ago that I'd be putting another truck on the road this year, with what was predicted, I would have told you that you've bumped your head. Right now our work load justifies it so I pulled the trigger.

I don't have all the numbers in yet on this truck but I'd say we'll have less than $35k in this one. Keep in mind we already had that body that's on it, which was made earlier this year.

The other trucks have chrome wheel inserts, which are decent without the costs associated with going aluminum. This one came with Alcoa's so it was a bonus. Add to that it was black, had a visor, and a few other things. Those items add up in costs to put a truck together. The more of those "already there items" cuts the cost way down on building a truck.

That sign out front wasn't cheap, but sand blasted wood really pops.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have any recent pictures of your shop? Also are you running the 550 still? or just the bigger trucks now.

Finally, when you go about seeking workers, what is generally your requirements for them in order to even be considered. I mean I see you guys running some big machinery a lot and of course your trucks so Heavy Machinery op? CDL A?B? experience?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you give out a number for your box builder? Does he build the under body boxes as well or just the behind the cab? Is it one compartment across, or does it have a seperate compartment on the driver's side?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No recent pics of the shop, but its full with all the trucks. Yes we are still running the 550.

Most of the guys we hire either have heavy equipment experience, have their CDL, or have the common sense to gain what is required to grow with us quickly.

Our box builder is a local guy who build the under body boxes and the large tool boxes.

Attached is a shot of one of our projects from earlier this year which will be on a PA Magazine cover next month. There's about 30 great shots of this project which I'll post a few at a later time.
Attached Images