Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Jarod,

Any new progress on the newest fleet member? What did you think of MAHTS?

Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Status

Latest progress. Box is removed, frame is chopped, and the cab is painted. On Monday it'll either come home to us here or go to the fab shop. Haven't decided yet. All the toolboxes, mirror brackets, bumpers, grills, air horns, visors, wheel simulators, are clogging up my shop and if I stup my toe one more time coming in the door I'm going to go crazy. IT's not like you can shift a 6 foot tool box off to one side to easily. So we may put a bunch of that on and then take it down to the fab shop. I'll see what Monday brings. We're still on track for our completion date. I need to talk with my operations manager he's been cordinating the whole thing since I've been out of town here the past week.

MAHTS. Had a good time. The employees to their wives down and I got them each a room. Wives shopped guys went to classes and the expo. We all regrouped for dinner. Good, if not better than last year. Bought a couple things, learned a few other knacks. EPHenry does a good job no doubt.

etwman.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull
Hello PMLAWN, With Nascar and the new Lowe's headquarters in your area that place has grown very fast. Also having Lake Norman nearby doesn't hurt either. How is it for you in regards to what type of work do you do - lawncare vs hardscapes?
Hi Bull, Sorry so long to answer but went to Orl. last week to John Deere training and had a lot of work this week.
We do a lot of stuff. Main part is maintenance with over 100 properties with a mix of small residential to HOAs and condos.
As far as landscape we do a lot of walls because of the lake. Most homes are seeded when new so it lasts 1 year or till it gets hot and drys up so we get a lot of renovation work. Doing a waterfall now that drops into the lake, 40 foot drop. most new subdivisions run somewhere around 150 to 200 homes and there are about 40 new ones going right now. Just read about a new one that will have over 900 homes. The landscape package most come with have 2 or 3 boxwoods and seed on hard clay. Lots (LOTS!) of room for upgrades.
I always charge a fair price and don't take advantage of people but there is work for the taking and you could name your price.
We work hard to get maintenance work at our prices but landscape work is abundant. Most of our work is by referral. I love this area and the lake is great but the growth is supper for landscape. Just don't tell anybody else. Don't want to many here to mess things up. Funny thing is that most of the lowball-scrub-jackleg still can not get work. Most of the people moving here are professional and will only pay for quality. Nice work environment. Even Statesville has a lot going for it and it is not too far from you. Are you locked in to that area or can you move down. Maybe sell a few days of work down here and drive down for the day You are off exit 85, right? If you can drive 45min south and make an extra 2-300 a day it might be worth it. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

NICE EQUIPMENT
Is that your house too?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ETW. I love the trucks. I looked at buying a new swap loader and its so expensive if you break it all down to buy new. I never thought of the used approach and cuttin off the body. Now How long on these FL's? If they take a 16 ft swap loader and maybe a 6 foot storage bin. That would be a 20 footer.But you said you cut off all of what was left behind the rear spring hanger. So maybe it was a 24 ft box truck which is a common truck used from penske.

Let me know the size because i will follow your route. O and thanks for the Insight.

Jason Rohrbaugh.

so swap loader was 10,000
and truck @19000
and the bodies are like 3 to 5 k each??
Tk 4 98 Explorer 4.0 liter 4x4
Tk 5 96 Ford F250 Xcab long bed
Tk 6 97 Ford F250 Single Cab, 4x4 With 7.5 ft Fisher
Tr 1 - 16 ft Mowing trailer
Tr 2 - 12 ft dump trailer
Tr 3 - 10 ft utility trailer
Tr 4 - 12 ft Mowing trailer
Tr 5 - 18 ft Skid loader trailer
1992 Case 1840 Skid loader

Jason Rohrbaugh
Crew Cut Enterprises LLC.

Annapolis, Maryland
Old 03-01-2005, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason -

The FL-70's are 252" WB and 186" CA. They had a 24 foot box on them at one point in time. This allowed a 48" tool box between the cab and the front of the dump body. Now I'm not sure what length your swaploader is but this setup works well with the switch n go from Buck's Fabricating. We torch the back frame off so that there is about 4" left behind the rear spring hanger. From there we set the complete system on, drill 8 holes, and bolt it on. Good to go. Fabricate the bumper and set the tool box on. Once you've done one truck the second and third go together real fast.

We looked at swaploaders too. We basically got the same system for 5k-7k less. The local dealer can't keep these systems in stock fast enough and they've worked flawlessly for us.

If you fall in love with a cab and chassis with a wheelbase longer than 252" you can shorten it. Cost about $800.00. If you found a beaut of a truck it may be worth it, but remember lenghtening that wheelbase is much more expensive. You want to make sure your rear axle is as far back as possible to absorb lifting heaving loads off of the ground. This is why that 252" works the best. If you don't want a box look for a 204" WB.

These trucks are everywhere out there. I think, but I'd have to check, we paid $17900 for the one and $18900 for the other. Chances are you'll have to have the cab painted, that'll run you around $1200, but do it before you put everything on the truck. You'll thank yourself later.

Hope this helps some.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 03-01-2005, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

etw- How has the chevy treated you pulling such a large load? Any Problems?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always been a diesel nut. Every truck I have either owned or currently own is a diesel except for the Chevy. Nothing against Chevy but it'll be the first and last gas truck I'll ever own. People say once you go diesel it's tough to go back, it's true. I had my fun, it's a stick shift with that 6.0 in it and it does okay with 10,000 lbs towing around town, get on a highway and it's a different story. I'll probably part with it this summer. Don't get me wrong i haven't had any problems with it at all. It's a '02 with 68,000 on it. I'd like to go to a crew cab shortbed with the duramax and allision. Won't have much bed space but it's pretty much my personal vehicle now anyway. We've got four other trucks the guys use for work.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a new fleet picture of all the equipment.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Shouldn't this thread be in the pictures forum?

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.