Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We backhaul fill and debris on occasion to our property out back and have to level it off/grade it once a week.

We average 5-10 running hours a week on mostly all of our machines, in our out of the field. We've never run up alot of hours.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-18-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rental tanks....

I thought I had witnessed it all from inexpensive equipment rental until last week when I received a flyer from a local equipment dealer. Skid loader, new or close to new, $400/month rental which includes 40 running hours. They are basically doing this for snow removal customers. Full size back hoe's are all $600/month. All units have enclosed cabs with heat.

Construction dealerships are getting pretty desperate to try and find some way to obtain cash flow on all this heavy metal.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw that for a case 430, its for smaller models. But for what they want for a month you could hardly buy a machine for that.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the days of walking into the local equipment rental store and renting a skidloader for $195/day are gone ....or if they are going to assume they can still get that, their equiment will be sitting for quite some time. We'll look back on this post in 5 years and think...wow. It's like looking back on off road diesel fuel at 85 cents a gallon.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

DANG ETW!!! I have a tracked skid out right now for $2400 a month. I wish we were hurting as bad down here and rental places would go down to 400 bucks. We are putting maybe 10 hours on it a week. It's been sitting in the mud for 10 days until 2 days ago. Pouring down rain, sitting in a backyard. We have a site with an 18* slope to the backyard. it's hard enough to just walk to the backyard, have to use the machine for just about anything, even moving flats of perennials. Going through 20 pallets of mulch later this week, that thing will be a back saver
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Tracks look nice on the skid.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey jared, have you guys ever used or looked into using the unilock elements stuff? Was working on a design with a customer and looking through one of the books and stumbled across the pre-built grills etc. Just wondering what your opinion was on them, if you have had any experience with them.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not used unilock but have seen their fireplaces and kitchen sectionals up close. I think they are decent for the price. For us we usually design the kitchen with cabinetry or fireplace around what they really want and make it flow. From there we figure out how we are going to build it. To try and do a kitchen off a predetermined template is limiting on what you can do. Add to that I'm an advocate of putting the footers in, blocking up, then veneering and knowing for sure that think will never go anywhere. The idea behind a floating veneer cabinet on top of pavers just makes me a little nervous, maybe I'm old school. Down south that may work, but in the north with frost heave lines I think your asking for trouble.

For the small client, with a budget who wants something like that, they are perfect. No doubt about it. For our clients most of it is custom.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

alright thanks a lot. I like doing it the old fashion way too, but just wanted some opinions on the matter, and figured you would be the first one I would ask.

Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New project job sign layout. Spanish cedar, aluminum edge, for our long term projects. We have two coming up, one of which will be real neat.
Attached Images