Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, so of course the truck got my attention the most.....clean rig.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So all the trees are being planted now or an on site nursery?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah that rig is clean. Even Jareds deliveries come on clean trucks wth!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow guys great thread. Took me awhile to read threw all the pages but interesting to watch your company grow over the last 7 Years. Great job and nice work.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander316 View Post
on average, how long does it take to plan out a job of this caliber, from the initial meet with the customer until the final plan where the customer says go? Obviously, things may change over time as you start the project, but I was just wondering. Also, is the customer ok when you tell them, that it may be two or three months before it is started?
Cleveland Select Pairs grow all over the place up here so bringing them from NC should not be a problem. We're planting what we can plant now, the rest will go in an onsite nursery. The more we can get in the ground the better.

Our average large project is usually in the drawing stages for 2-4 months. We've never had a customer complain about the time frame as they realize what all is involved in our process. They want it done and done right. If it takes a little longer in the planning stages that's fine. You have to understand most are making a sizable investment, they want to make sure everything is included that they want.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper_colin View Post
Jarod, do you remove a portion of the wire basket, all of it, or none at all?
I cant answer if he does or not but you should. Especially with larger trees. because when the roots get bigger they can get girdled buy that wire cage. The best way to plant and b&b tree that has the wire cage on it is to cut the wire back and fold it all down to its flat on the bottom of the hole. Then continuing to plant it normally after that. Remove the top half of the burlap and some of the soil plant it so the root flare is above the ground 2-3 inches. etc. Here is an awesome article on planting trees properly...............

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

so many times i have seen trees that were not planted correctly and then it dies usually 10 or so years later. The problems arent noticeable immediately but they will be later on. Now I always remove the string on b&b trees. Most trees are sprayed with anti-decay treatments since they sit out for so long and those strings wont decay and then that harms the roots later on. I always take the extra time to remove all the string, cage, burlap and some of the soil on trees just so its right. I try to make all my customers customers for life and by spending the extra time to do things right and not be worried about getting the most jobs in during the day really helps.

Last edited by lukemelo216; 11-19-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Preach it luke! Your spot on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the cages were cut down, I agree with that.

Here's our new signs up.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so some of the landscaping is being done prior to the house actually being built? what is there right now just the foundation of the home? Looks good so far cant wait to see it develop.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We get involved with new home construction very early on and do what we call "site the house" or develop the master plan. We'll actually meet with the homeowner, builder, township reps, etc and find the best place on the property for the house, layout the driveway, buildings, and begin to do some preliminaries of the walkways, patio, and plantings. There is nothing more frustrating than showing up when a house is done, driveway is too narrow, sewer system is smack in the middle of the backyard where the patio should go, electrical box in on the side of the house where the patio is going, topsoil is gone, etc. All this can be avoided and it really does save money. When I pull up to a home I can tell you within 5 minutes if a LA was involved from the start. It makes everything flow so much nicer and the project look like a million bucks, even when it doesn't cost that.

This allows us to plant perimeter trees early, determine how much topsoil we want left on site, examine boulders that come from excavation. All because we have a master plan already done. There are good builders out there but they often don't look beyond the four walls of the house.

We are currently siting three other projects for the spring. This is why alot of our plans may be in the drawing stages for 4-6 months before we push ground. Alot is involved.