Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klsgc View Post
ETW Man,
For a driveway paver application, do you ever pour concrete first, then an inch of sand, or do you just use a base material like chips and dust. If you do use concrete, do you have pvc pipes stubbed in to pour over so the sand drains through the concrete? Also, how do you secure your paver edging, drilling through the concrete for the nails seems like the only option unless you poured it a few inches too narrow and used a gravel base for the outside foot. Thanks
I have never understood why people insist on pouring concrete under pavers. To me its the dumbest thing. It goes against everything the industry states is right. If your base is right, compacted correctly, and pitched, you have nothing to worry about. Flex edge to secure the edges.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah, I hear what your saying, but on the other hand I have seen quite a few drives with wear patterns and depressions infront of the garage where the cars drive on the same spot 5-10 times a day. Would you go 6" of chips and dust, then an inch of sand, or skip the sand for the driveway?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

btw, I cant vouch for the base used on the properties, so they may have skimped.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

KLS, you need way more than 6" of base material for driveways. This could be part of the problem along with many other possibilities.

New Horizons Land Management
1996 F-250 crew cab short bed FOR SALE
16' landscape trailer FOR SALE
14' enclosed trailer for hardscapes
6.5' x 12' 12,000 lbs dump trailer
60" Kubota ZD21 FOR SALE
60" JD 997
36" Stander for sale
Sthil Power Tools FOR SALE
Weber 7,000 lb force revs. plate tamp
Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all in the base. I have 18" in front of the garage at my house and put 12-18" in most driveways that we do. Textile and checking overdig stabilization are a must.

I've never understood skimping on base, its cheap insurance.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
We've witnessed steady growth over the past 10 years. Its attributable to alot of different things we do internally. The hardscape industry as a whole has taken some beatings from talking with manufacturers, but we have not witnessed it here at this company. Here's my take on all this, and don't take it personally, but I'm sure there are those out there who are going to criticize. In any business you can roll over and play dead, whine about lack of leads, no referrals from manufacturers, what the competitors is or isn't doing, etc. Or you can roll up your sleeves, work outside the box, do things no one else is doing, do good work, make smart financial and marketing decisions, and fight for the company. If you stay focused on that you won't care that much about what else is going on.

just catching up on this thread that i haven't read in months. best quote/advice i've heard yet
Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

permeable pavers

Sent a pm.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

sent a pm thanks for any info
Old 07-22-2010, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I know it is a busy time of year, but are there any updates?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

updates

Here's a quick 5 shots of what all we have going on. Pretty busy which is why I haven't had time to update. All the equipment is updated with the new logos, literature is done, and were waiting on a few shirts. Changing over a logo is not a simple process.

Real quick. First couple shots are of a 200 year old property were working on. We've been engaged to do the master plan of the whole property along with implementation. It will be completely refurbished with natural stone walls, pool, landscape, etc.. We've been working there for 2 months and anticipate being there for about 18 more. It has a ton of history to it and is a really neat property complete with an old mill, slaves quarters, and four dwellings.

Second one is an upcoming project (the rendering illustrates one version of what we are proposing). It will have a kitchen, fireplace, structure. Materials are still being finalized.

The third batch is a pool project we just finished up. We blocked up an outdoor fireplace and kitchen under the pavers with all the necessary utilities. This way we can lift the pavers at a later time and go right up with phase II.
Attached Images