Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Has the limit of attendees been met yet? If it hasn't yet I would guess it will be very shortly.

I look forward to hopefully getting the opportunity to meeting you all. I also just received Joe's book in the mail, and am looking forward to the conference even more after reading the first couple chapters.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My book is so marked up from things you can barely read it. You won't be able to put it down. I love when Joe talks about exceeding customer expectations on page 151: "I always cringe a little when I work with a company, and there are lots of them, that say they will 'Exceed Customers Expectations.' Fine. Wonderful. Now let me ask you a question. Do you have even a remote idea how incredibly high your customer's expectations are? With today's demanding customer you are going to have to do cartwheels, triple back flips, and swan dives through rings of fire just to come close to even meeting their expectations, much less exceeding them. ....Just remember you don't decide if you've exceeded the customers expectations, the customer does."

In the world of high end design/build there could not be more truth to this quote.

You won't be able to put the book down......
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just started reading it and want to go white water rafting with that guide. His screws are a little loose but determined, sounds like a good time haha. I'm reading it through the first time and the second time will be notes notes notes notes notes. And I hate reading but it's worthwhile.....I swear I'm A.D.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
My book is so marked up from things you can barely read it. You won't be able to put it down. I love when Joe talks about exceeding customer expectations on page 151: "I always cringe a little when I work with a company, and there are lots of them, that say they will 'Exceed Customers Expectations.' Fine. Wonderful. Now let me ask you a question. Do you have even a remote idea how incredibly high your customer's expectations are? With today's demanding customer you are going to have to do cartwheels, triple back flips, and swan dives through rings of fire just to come close to even meeting their expectations, much less exceeding them. ....Just remember you don't decide if you've exceeded the customers expectations, the customer does."

In the world of high end design/build there could not be more truth to this quote.

You won't be able to put the book down......
Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

ETW and tthomass,
Could you give me the title of the book you guys are talking about, I would love to get my hands on some good info, too bad I didnt look into the books sooner, I would have loved to have been able to go through them a couple times and take some notes before GROW!

Thanks
Shawn
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

'Becoming a Category of One' by Joe Calloway.....check Amazon.com
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't quote me on this Shawn, but I believe when you register for GROW then send you a copy of the book. I could be wrong though.....
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Don't quote me on this Shawn, but I believe when you register for GROW then send you a copy of the book. I could be wrong though.....
That would be great, if they do I'll have two copies! I just ordered it from amazon late last night. No problem though I guess Illl have a marked up copy and a clean copy.

Hopefully I'll be able to meet most of you here in two weeks!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Phew... after about 3 days of off and on during downtime reading this whole thread i am nothing but extremely impressed with you ETWman. I completely admire your work and your ability to successfully grow a business the way you have.

I would love to talk with you sometime in the future and just glean some information from you. It is cool to see your history of working with Hope International and the Katrina trips. That shows a lot about your character.

I pray God continues to bless your work!

Thanks for keeping us amazed with your updates with pictures and insight.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I appreciate your kind words. I'm glad I can help others grow as well. It has been a fun journey, full of ups and downs, but neat to see it evolve. It's hard to believe we spend more on one rock now than we billed on our entire first landscape job. Equally exciting is what the future holds. I am not one to sit around with my feet on the desk. The things we have planned for the next 2-3 years are really neat and am anxious to see what the future holds.

Good luck with your 2011!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ETW, Good luck in 2011! Looking foward to checking out some more of your work.

When you get a chance check out my thread, we grew quite a bit since last time you were on there. Plus your advice has always been spot on, considering we do basically the same type of work. We also had some pretty cool larger projects this year, all of which I did the design work as well. Would love to see what you think. About to make some large investments, would love to get your input on them. (Rather talk to you about it on my thread so I dont jack yours).

We're not to far away from eachother, Maybe one of these days I'll have to take a ride out your way and say hello.

Thanks again,

Jim

ICPI Certified Installer / NCMA SRW Installer
Rutgers University - Landscape Design
Brookdale Community College - Horticulture
Process of getting Irrigation License

2003 Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1996 Ford F-Super Duty Mason Dump 4x4 Diesel
A lot of fun tools to get the job done RIGHT!