Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Unveiled today to our existing clients. A comprehensive, well thought out division, to care for our high end clients. This program will only be available to those who do a build project with us and covers over 40 different items. We will not be soliticting anyone who is not a prior client of ours. If you want this care, you have to do a build project with us. I won't go into exactly what they all are, but will set it sets us apart from the competition.

The name was voted on by our staff and some outside sources, the division leader is hired, and we're moving forward with excitment from our clients.
Congrats Jarod, it will do well! I love the name too! Look forward to hearing/seeing how it progresses!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

etwman,

Just finally finished reading the whole thing. Took a week! Unless I missed it, who wrote your mission statement? Employees? U?
Bshaffer@thrivelawns.com
www.thrivelawns.com
Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wrote the missions statement.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have another side story in which I will post pictures later this week. If weather permits we are going to begin construction of a courtyard patio that is landlocked. The only way in for the 65 tons of stone and 60k lbs of wall block and pavers is via 60 ton crane. Everything is set to go. If ever there is a prime example of why you NEVER price hardscape work by the square foot this would take the cake.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you dont price it by the square foot how are you pricing it?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreft View Post
If you dont price it by the square foot how are you pricing it?

I would think part of his quote might have in included some square footage but I think he is saying if you solely do bids on sq. ft. you would get killed on that job being you cant get the pages to the area with out the massive crane. So the companies that advertise "as low as $x.xx sq. ft." would get the call and come up with a price on the phone then they get to the job and go "****"

However I could be wrong on his message.

-Steve
Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure I talk about it somewhere in this thread but I'm not going to dig for it. Never ever ever, and I can't emphasize that enough, price jobs per sf. So much depends on access and many other elements of the job. They beat this to death over in the hardscape section and other professionals will agree with it 100%. You have to know overhead, time it'll take to build it, material costs, cuts, levels of patio, and lots of other stuff. Go take an ICPI course. Guys that say they can install pavers at $ x/sf should be shot. If I held someone to the infamous $9/sf on this job we are about to do they'd lose their shirt, truck, skid loader, and wallet before they were done with it.

I'll leave it at that.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I'm sure I talk about it somewhere in this thread but I'm not going to dig for it. Never ever ever, and I can't emphasize that enough, price jobs per sf. So much depends on access and many other elements of the job. They beat this to death over in the hardscape section and other professionals will agree with it 100%. You have to know overhead, time it'll take to build it, material costs, cuts, levels of patio, and lots of other stuff. Go take an ICPI course. Guys that say they can install pavers at $ x/sf should be shot. If I held someone to the infamous $9/sf on this job we are about to do they'd lose their shirt, truck, skid loader, and wallet before they were done with it.

I'll leave it at that.
you seem to explain it better then myself haha. Anyway I'll add that I've read through your thread many times and other post. You are very knowledgeable and I learned a lot from you. I would love to come check out your office/shop one day as I don't think you are all that far from me over here in Jersey. Your work is outstanding and I'm constantly impressed with the work you and your teams put out. Well done.

-Steve
Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would also love to make a trip up from maryland and chat with you.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I should give some more thought to something within the year. I get approached about this type of thing quite often (both in threads and PM's), and while I'd like to spend time having others come to our facility, it takes time.

I'll chew on this a little more, maybe approach Marty Grunder about coming and speaking for a portion of the day as part of it. If you've never heard Marty speak that would be worth the trip alone. He's a wealth of knowledge. I'll see what I can do.