Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stuff looks great, interested in the webinar!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

As many of you, im very inspired by many of the companies on here, i realize this is a post for etwmans photos and company, and i hope im not stepping on toes here but it seems like the perfect place to ask for some advice on my business, as there are so many experts actively communicating here.

my business is mostly maintenance at the moment (seems like most people start here..) we work for condo complexes, have about 9 guys, and little organization IMO, and lack efficiency hugely. I live and breath this business and getting it on track, i've taken it over from my father (sort of.. :s) and am working on (somewhat successfully) breaking old habits, making new systems, etc. we're on the right track, but i'd like to speed it up, learn from others etc.

my biggest issue right now IMO is getting accurate numbers (hour/expense tracking etc) i'm really interested in what software people are using, and what types of systems your using day to day to keep track of hours, expenses, etc. Our scheduling is basically done the night before a lot of the times (crazy weather fluctuations here..) We do lawn maintenance, but also get random calls for things to be done same day, so the guys are often re-routed in between jobs, or if they get rained out theres some random jobs for them to occupy the remainder of their day.

So i'd just like some advice on what types of systems you use for tracking their hours, expenses, etc.

Thank You, good luck this season! (ours is just starting up here )
Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Stainless steel inserts?

What company are you using for your stainless cabinet inserts?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

etwman - what has the response been to your new division? What are your thoughts/insights now that you are a couple months into the launch?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

New division is growing slow, but growing and I'm fine with that. Growth takes time.

On another note. Big shout out to Benton and Ryan Foret for making the front cover of Lawn and Landscape this month. Good friends who I have alot of respect for. Really neat story that everyone should read.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

update

It's been a while since I posted and wanted to give some updates. We are continuing to witness another growth year, as it will be our 12 season. Our projects continue to get more involved, we learn more, and get better and better at what we do.

High end design build involves so many different elements to manage correctly. Clients have dates they want everything finished and things need to run smoothly. There is a tremendous amount of behind the scenes work that takes place, in addition to helping the client understand the scope of the project. I talk more about this in an upcoming interview in Lawn and Landscape magazine. Its interesting, as much as you try and educate the client on how big these projects truly are, there's always a stress element that becomes apparent until things really begin to take shape. It seems to go from excitment to stress back to excitment over the course of several months.

New additions? We just purchased a new Kubota U35 mini excavator. We looked hard at CAT, Deere, and Kubota. Kubota has a tremendous machine, with power angle dozer blade, fully two year warranty, and several other neat features.

I could attach quite a few pics but will focus on just one project. It involves alot of natural stone, pool, fireplace, pool house, landscape, lighting, techo-bloc pool deck and a few other things. Should be done in another month or two.

Trust all is well with everyone. Enjoy your summer.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Last edited by etwman; 08-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Second batch, which includes a pic of the new Kubota.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Second batch, which includes a pic of the new Kubota.
You will love the Kubota. I have a KX191 and U45 and neither one every sits a day. Breakdowns minimal. I see you got the thumb you will use that all the time. Enjoy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It took me like 10 hours to skim through this thread. Very nice work!
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the work looks awesome as always!!that is one nice kubota and the thumb will come in real handy.have you seen the articulating set up that bobcat has for the mini exes,so you can pick up a rock and it allows you to put it at different angles(for slopes etc)?